WBA prior to drylining???

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

fruitcake

Anyone used the stuff on old bricks or blocks prior to dabbing. Seems a good idea to me, as long as your dabbing the next day so the stuff can cure??

I've recently dot and dabbed over old plaster right through a Victorian house. I tested an area before I started using PVA, and the small piece of board popped off really easily. I've used Knauf Betokontakt and it's stuck like crap to a blanket. I've also put in a few fixings per sheet for good measure.

m happy with the responses, wickes are gona be making a killing out of me.

just wanted to add that im gona give the bricks a weak pva coat just to hold the dust and calm the suction down abit,.

ta

why not dab straight onto brick, just wet them to keep dust off. you don't prime thermolites when you dot and dab. gonna be awful expensive!

Why pay £12 for 3kg from Wickes when you can get 20kg of the same stuff (Knauf) for around £40?

@Pug - was gona use the wba stuff as an adhesive not primer. as for the blocks im just a bit worried about how dusty they am. but like you say wetting them will probably be ok. probably use the stuff on bricks though.

@TonyM - thought bond it came in 10litre tubs. i just know bond-it needs more time to cure. I dunno why ones in kg and ones in litres though.

fruitcake....do you really,deep down truly beleive that you need apply anykind of adhesive (wba pva etc) to a block wall your gonna dab ?
Do you realise how much that will cost you ?
if you have d&d a wall before you should know better .If youve never d and dabbed a wall b4 then you shouldnt be doing it untill you know how.

Unfortunately im just saying it how i see it oasis.Drywall adhesive sticks like sh*t to a blanket.
Surely no one is gonna wba or use bond it to aid it sticking to a wall or even think it.
if hes been skimming for 7 years then for sure you would no this ???

All Ive ever done is applied weak PVA mix to dry and dusty bricks\blocks, drywall adhesive will break from the board before the wall. ???

Dont know what using WBA would achieve IMO...

didnt say anything about wholes block walls m8.

Yes i truly belive i need it. ::)

the blocks i was refering to are above some doorways where some of the dabs would be on the lintels them selves and the blocks are proper dusty, so i was worried about the dabs sticking to the lintels and poping off so i wanted to be a bit more sure the boards would be staying put., i have done a lintel thread somewhere.

Yes it will cost about £1 or mayby £2

As for the bricks i have a small wall in bathroom and was just asking for opinions. : ::)

nice point topmark.

Fruitcake,

Save the money you were gonna spend on WBA and buy a stiff brush instead - I've never primed a wall prior to D & D'ing - Like Skimmin said earlier, dri-wall adhesive stciks like sh*t to a blanket - Give any dusty wall a good brush down, maybe a spray of water to put your mind at rest and throw it on straight from the tub

I'll eat my hawk if it dont stick !

If you are dabbing over lime plaster, as I was, it needs to be sealed because gypsum reacts with lime.

fruitcake said:
@Pug - was gona use the wba stuff as an adhesive not primer. as for the blocks im just a bit worried about how dusty they am. but like you say wetting them will probably be ok. probably use the stuff on bricks though.

@TonyM - thought bond it came in 10litre tubs. i just know bond-it needs more time to cure. I dunno why ones in kg and ones in litres though.
For some strange reason Knauf Betakontakt comes in 20kg tubs, whereas almost everything else comes in litres. Strange but true.... :-o

Status
Not open for further replies.