waves?in the painted finish..

Status
Not open for further replies.

oasis

i no my last 3 post have been probs..but they are all from the same 2 jobs,,just tryin to make sure i do better net time round!

basicly went bk and looked at a mates celing i did for free and when u step back the overall look was a bit wavey? was done on old plaster board that had been painted in silk..so i used wixes bondin agent..left it 1 and half hours odd with a heater on..then i did a nice thick mix layed on well..faltten off..nice..then did the same mix but a bit stiffer...to be fair it went off a bit to quick as when i was layin on at the end it was goin very had..but still layed on then flatend up..then trowled up a few times as you do ..a week later it been painted and just looks a lil wavey ..just not sure why..he thinks it looks gr8! lol but im not happy with the finish.

you need to go back to the basics mate ........get yourself on site and learn with someone who can teach you properly ;)

yea i do use multi..and iv never been showen anything i v worked on me own since i was 14 and do still now,,that y i ask a few questions...i do a good job 90% of the time..but somethings niggle me and i want to no what iv done wrong..propbly beein fussy..

spunky's right mate, specially if youve NEVER worked with another spread..
straight up, work with a couple of different spreads or just 1 s**t hot one and youll learn more in a week than you have in a year..
as for the multi, well wba kills all suction, multi likes a bit of suction to work right or you end up pushing the entire thickness round the ceiling when you flatten off which can cause waves...
use board finish on wba in future...
also try and leave the wba to dry properly, dunno if the heater worked or not..
and a stiffer mix for topping aint such a good idea...wants to be the same mix (technically) or a tiny bit wetter (if youre first coat is bang on and you wanna just trowel a thin one over the top...)
and if its goin off before youve even finished layin on it sounds like youve either got a bad bag or youve got a bit of dirty water in your mix.. only takes a couple of brushes full of water out the cleaning bucket if youve chucked in too much powder and it'll go off sharpish..

thanks that the sort advice iz lookin for...board it is then...but to be fair the first coat seemd to tighten up before i put second coat on..but yea ill try and use board or even just let the first coat go much stiffer and then add a nice mix that glides over the top. im 22 now so been doin it a while..but i see were ur commin from with see other spreads..well iv worked with 1 other and he puts second coat on stright away with out flattenin off and even out the same mix! so i will not be usein any tips from him!

It could be the way its been painted, i did a ceiling for a friend the other day it was a fairly big one but I made a good job of it,when i went back a week later he had painted it and i felt sea sick looking at it but i know it was as flat as a dab.
Get some steps and get up there and feel it,if it is wavey gravey then you'll feel this when you run your hand over..... it may be the paint mate!.

Rich B

richardbrown said:
It could be the way its been painted, i did a ceiling for a friend the other day it was a fairly big one but I made a good job of it,when i went back a week later he had painted it and i felt sea sick looking at it but i know it was as flat as a dab.
Get some steps and get up there and feel it,if it is wavey gravey then you'll feel this when you run your hand over..... it may be the paint mate!.

have u been sniff glue.... ha ha

Rich B

the waves are probably water marks where u have thrown water all over it, a lot of suction in bonding. should have pva'd it 3 or maybe 4 times. i would anyway.
i use board and multi finish and i will tell you now u will struggle like hell if u find that multi is goin off on u.
board finish (i find) sets slightly faster than multi and when board finish sets throwing water on it just doesn't help.
u can bring multi back with water whrer-as board finish you cant
my opinion anyway

when i started i was using one of those permashaped trowel's and it leave's a slightly uneven and wavey finish thats hard to notice unless its painted with silk.

anyway who the hell asked u ha ha.

i use a gold premshape one big one had it bout 2 years..the lights were out and it was mid day..

im guessin it had sumit to do with the silky back ground to.i dnt think they were even waves..just like a wave shadow effect..but you have gota step rite back and look at it in the sun light! im not talkin about surf waves..

i used to get the same problem...... now i use a mt 14 inch pre worn-in trowel to lay on with.. because its only slighty curved.... also try using 11 inch for troweling up so much better.

Ive got to say that this is a great forum but when questions like this come up the little advice we can give count for nothing, it is a wet trade and experience is gained by f*** u**s if you can work alongside a spread who has been in the game for years you will learn loads much more than a course ime 53 years old and still learning every day so dont be despondent if a job goes wrong its all learning but hands on.
Lucius

f*uck me spunky u wanna get ur tounge out his ass.. every question u got a sh***y comment
iv made a few mistakes that im tryin to learn off.. least im not still breast fed at 40

it might also be that the boards have sagged between the joists, seen this before when the board runs with the joist, rather than across the joist

Status
Not open for further replies.