Waterproofer

Members online

Big

Hi guys, how do you gauge your waterproofer? Used to always use powder at ratio of 1 pack to 50kg of cement, but every job I go to now the builder wants to use liquid waterproofer for price reasons, anyhow all the drums say to mix 30:1 with water, how does this work with wet sand? Personally I wish they gave a ratio to cement content.

Do you use anything to make the mortar a bit more workable ?
I just play aound with the mix till i get it nice , theres some awful crap thats not worth using .

Just plain old mortar plasticiser, good old Feb [emoji106]

It can be difficult buddy... i do alot of dpc which states 25/1 with the water proofer so have to source dry sand.... can't use travis as the sand is piss wet... i have bought 25kg bags before that have flooded my van as they have been bagged piss wet........ i use a small local merchant that that buys in bulk and bags it themselves ... does cost 15 quid a bulk nag more but is nice stuff...

Am pissed but I'll try say what I think. Waterproofer is bullshit it makes sand and cement over work able the end

Reactions: Mag
I have always used Fed Rendamix. One 250ml baby bottle full to 1 bucket of cement.

75ml of Febmix + (the red stuff) to 1 bucket of cement.

Being using the above since the 80's with no problems. Leave it mixing too long though and it goes over plastercised.

Always use waterproofer myself, silver sand, lime, cement and a few glugs of waterproofer left in the mixer to turn over and fluff up. Sometimes I notice it can be a bit sticky when floating up? Is that the waterproofer or leaving it in the mixer too long? The Feb that comes in a small bottle and you squeeze it into the cap is decent stuff. When skimming over sand and cement the waterproofer gives you more time than Feb? And also in the summer I'd imagine not using waterproofer the gears sets quicker? Please enlighten me

Advantage of waterproofer in the scratch in summer is it gives to time to get it on and manage it. Opposite in winter, it hangs all day and can slide.

Put 2 scratch coats on if render finish. 1st coat waterproofed 2nd coat Feb.

When you render you have enough suction for it to firm up a bit without sliding but not enough suction so you still can manage to rub it up.

Yeah if it's particularly cold I've not used waterproofer in the scratch, but I've not really considered not using it at all. And what's this talk of the render being over mixed or over plasticised? How do you know the difference? If I'm floating up and the render is a bit sticky I assume I was a bit generous with the waterproofer. Just find it interesting how people are just using Feb, I've not encountered that before

Yeah if it's particularly cold I've not used waterproofer in the scratch, but I've not really considered not using it at all. And what's this talk of the render being over mixed or over plasticised? How do you know the difference? If I'm floating up and the render is a bit sticky I assume I was a bit generous with the waterproofer. Just find it interesting how people are just using Feb, I've not encountered that before

it depends on what finish is going on the scratch coat. if you want to slow the suction for top coat add waterproof, if you need some suction for top coat no waterproof.
we use sharpe sand for scratch, and sharpe sand with plastering sand added for rubbing up. [the sharpe sand is not gritty enough to go through a screed pump.]
the only time we over mix sand and cement is for a butter coat for dashing. this method is obsolete now with the pre mixed dashing mortars.

over plasticised is as it says, too much plas, not enough mixing time, soapy bubbles evident. Over mix will be correct dosage of,additive left too long in mixer, too much air entrained, very sloppy. Both are pain to use.
When you have too much chemical the render might not get to full strength, you might be able to scratch your name in it months later (there was a thread here with those symptoms).

Interesting points about over plasticised/over mixed. I was taught to put the least amout of water and a tiny splash of plasticiser in a mix and let it turn as long as you could get away with it, the reason being (my old gaffer said) you wanted as little water in the mix as possible. He was rarely in a hurry though! As usual I never questioned him.

Interesting points about over plasticised/over mixed. I was taught to put the least amout of water and a tiny splash of plasticiser in a mix and let it turn as long as you could get away with it, the reason being (my old gaffer said) you wanted as little water in the mix as possible. He was rarely in a hurry though! As usual I never questioned him.

He was right.

Totally agree Pug. Sand in the bucket then level off the top and the same with cement, splash of water in the mixer and just two capfuls of plasterciser, then let it turn over at least 15 mins in the mixer - great bit of gear, all uniform colour/shrinkage.

I've been using Bostic free flo and may more before it.
I have always put it in the scratch and top coat with no problems.
I never use plaz as it goes like piss in the mixer.
I have been told by the cleark of works on my next job that I can't use freeflo in the top coat coz there's lime in it
The mix is 4-1 scratch 6-1-1-1 lime top
Anyone else done this

Used to have to keep a small cup from one of those weeny little flasks you can get, I had to use it as my measure for admixtures.......I personally use the meagrest amount of water and plas for the reasons above. I always thought it affected the skim suction next day as well.