Wall with varying surface and depths

Members online

LeoW

Hi.

Amateur plasterer here.

I’ve just been removing the old plaster from a brick wall with the intention of then dot and dabbing the whole wall.

The first 2 metres along which was pretty blown slid off from floor to ceiling like warm butter but then I hit a very large section of extremely hard grey material. I don’t know what it is but it’s not coming away even with my power hammer chisel. Really it doesn’t need to come off either because it’s sturdy.

Problem is though, the hard bit is only about 15mm deep from the brick.

So now if I dot and dab the section I managed to get off, it’s going to sit proud of the remaining hard section.

I feel like I need maybe 2 separate solutions - 1 for each section to end up with an even surface to skim. Not sure what to do here.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help
C2480F87-008A-4DDD-9C11-BB631655D29F.jpeg

Hi.

Amateur plasterer here.

I’ve just been removing the old plaster from a brick wall with the intention of then dot and dabbing the whole wall.

The first 2 metres along which was pretty blown slid off from floor to ceiling like warm butter but then I hit a very large section of extremely hard grey material. I don’t know what it is but it’s not coming away even with my power hammer chisel. Really it doesn’t need to come off either because it’s sturdy.

So now if I dot and dab the section I managed to get off, it’s going to sit proud of the remaining hard section.

I feel like I need maybe 2 separate solutions - 1 for each section to end up with an even surface to skim. Not sure what to do here.

View attachment 49924

Either use thicker dabs on the bare brick areas, or dab on some rips of PB first to bring up to a similar level, then dab the lot.

Survey the wall first with a spirit level to check plumb and go from there.

Lot of timber in there, I wondered if it was a doorway fill in but then it goes across the head to the corner. Old lath and timber stud wall filled in with brick and s&c maybe?

Hi.

Amateur plasterer here.

View attachment 49924
Posh stud with brick on edge, 1930s era used to do it a lot. Take it out new stud up. It will crack whatever you do with it

What ChrispyUK said “thicker dabs on bare brick area.”
Mix it like thick porridge and it will bridge like up to 50mm easily

OK. Thanks all. Big thick porridgey dabs it is.
Cheers.
Or if you haven't dot and dabbed before and actually want it flat then screw 3 25mm battens to the wall, packing out and getting level. Then you can't really mess the other half that's dot and dabbed up, as you already have a perfectly flat section of wall to work to