VW Transporter

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilPlaster

Private Member
Thinkin in a couple of yrs of gettin a vw transporter but want to know if you can fit 8x4 sheets in? Whats it like on juice?

VW reliability is second to none i agree and you cant really knock vw's in any way.
But i think you need 9 foot in the back so i use mwb tranny,thus way you can get kit infront of the boards and above the driver in overhead compartment and stil have room to move around and have bags of gear tranny mixer etc.
Vw are not as tall also so lots of ducking and diving.

Thing is with trannists mate is they rust also have probs with fuel pump and are prone to going through batteries every 2 years,but they have the room and more important they carry it well.
This is why all the local authortities use mwb /medium roof transits becuse of the room in the back + height.

The SWB T5 has 2.5 mtrs between the back of the front seats and the rear doors. It'll take 8x4 sheets no problem. My Sportline which was 174hp, would do between 28 and 33 mpg, depending on how I drove it and whether the roof bars were on or off. The 2.5 130 Hp fuel consumption is about the same. The 1.9 TDi is more economical but not as much fun to drive. The LWB has 2.8 mtrs in the back. The new Transporter facelift models are all 2.0 ltr common rail diesels with 4 different engine outputs depending on how much money you've got.
They don't depreciate half as quickly as other vans either.

Ddepriciation,thats something else to consider?????
Vw and all German cars vans are pretty much bomb proof everyone knows that
Still i prefer transits personally

Bruce Willis said:
Thats what I want to hear! What are they like for wear n tear?
If you can afford a new one, then you'll have nothing more than tyres and general servicing to worry about for 3 yrs. You'll also get 3 yrs VW Assist which is RAC membership with dedicated VW technicians that come out to you, and if they can't fix it there and then, they'll get you a replacement van to use while it's being fixed. None of my main dealer services were ever more than £250, and that was a major-ish one. If something major goes wrong and you don't have a warranty, then it's going to cost you an arm and a leg, but that is probably true with most makes of van.

Heard on the radio today that Vauxhall are doing 4 yrs 0% APR and 4 yrs warranty on their new vans. I rang 3 dealers and not one called me back. I'd already ordered a new VW Caddy but would have been prepared to cancel it if the deal had been a good one. Their f**k**g loss.
The bigger VW is the Crafter.

Truth is Tony these van car companies cant give there vans away at the minute,theres good deals to be had out there right now its a buyers market make no mistake.
I wish i was in a position to get a new one this tax year but it aint gonna happen,with a new baby coming along and the missus being out of work now permanantly.

The swb transit gets 8x4's in no problem.
I put a rack up the side opposite the sliding door & you can get 12 8x4's in the rack.
This leaves a lot of floor area for bags tools etc
I also put a hole in the bulkhead & fixed a type of cradle on the underside of roof & I can slide 2 packs of 3m coving inside the van. Saves pissing about putting it on the roof bars in the rain etc
I put 2x1 on the underside of roof with big eye hooks & bungee strap my steps up. Keeps them out the way.

A Mate of mine built a false floor in his transit about 16" or so off the original floor & can slide 25 8x4's under it plus it's still got same floor area for bags tools etc above his boards.

nice machine vws

best van ive found is transit tho its all i buy now adays had a merc cost a fortune when it went wrong.
depends how much mula you have new mark 7 transits 56 plate onwards are the one to get. not had a vw transporter recently but heard good things from other lads.
dont entertain a transit on 85 ps flat as a fart go for at least a 110 ps

If coin wasnt a problem Id get another Ford Transit over anything but I do like the look of VW Transporters. Just thinking of the juice. At the mo Ive got a Peugeot Expert after gettin rid of a Fiat Ducato due to problems.
The diesel lasts longer and Ive gotten use to this thats why Im lookin at a longer but still small van(VW) but I miss the bigger storage of the Ducato.
???

T5's are awesome Bruce. Wouldn't have anythin else. Mate runs a garage and services most local business vans and said t5's or Toyota hiace are best. Apparently vivaro/trafic/primastar are great from new but start falling to pieces after 80,000 miles. Get a V Dub!

tony m is that you on vw brickworks forum, volkswagen t5 174 is an awsome beast of a machine ive got the caravelle and a transit connect lwb for work but thinking of getting a t5 for work as well

murplastering said:
tony m is that you on vw brickworks forum, volkswagen t5 174 is an awsome beast of a machine ive got the caravelle and a transit connect lwb for work but thinking of getting a t5 for work as well

Yes mate.
You bought the Caravelle then? nice isn't it.
If you get a 174 van for work, you'll be smiling all the way there and back.

That false floor idea is excellent will look at doing that myself, had a Vivaro for 3 years and had nothing but trouble with it plus it just was'nt big enough, now got a transit medium roof and the room is fantastic

Johnathon said:
That false floor idea is excellent will look at doing that myself, had a Vivaro for 3 years and had nothing but trouble with it plus it just was'nt big enough, now got a transit medium roof and the room is fantastic
It is a good idea but a bit awkward loading the boards in on there side if your on yer own. Much easier to slide 8x4's in on their side as thats how theyll come off the trolley. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.