Vaulted ceiling

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arti

Alreet Marra's......Got a vaulted ceiling to do next week and i normally curve the angles cos the joiners boarding is normally twatfull but the customer wants them kept straight. so was after some tips for keeping the angles straight. was thinking about pinging a chalk line as a guide maybe?? Im sure this forum will have a multitude of ideas..............:RpS_thumbup:

Depends how bad the boarding is? If it's really cockshite ping a line and straighten it with a bit of bonding:RpS_thumbup:

you could ping a line then tack stop beads with the wing on the flat and the bead edge to the rake then once ya first and second coats have almost set up take the beads off and quickly throw on the flat.
the speed skim is handy for makeing these angles straight:RpS_thumbup:

you could ping a line then tack stop beads with the wing on the flat and the bead edge to the rake then once ya first and second coats have almost set up take the beads off and quickly throw on the flat.
the speed skim is handy for makeing these angles straight:RpS_thumbup:
:RpS_thumbsup:

Firstly DO NOT buy a speedskim for doing this, I did and they're far to flexible to get these angles straight.
Secondly if the customer wants them straight them tell whoever is doing the boarding that it needs the timbers need to be in alignment or packers used before boarding. Point out that you are a plasterer not a magician. Or failing all that.
Check with a featheredge first and then if needed (it will be) apply a good thick coat of finish and rule to straight. Let it pick up and then skim as usual.

Stop beads will just follow the rise and fall of the boards. Like Henry says, If the boarding isn't good (or the timber work under them) then you're pissing in the wind.

Are those adjustable angle trowels any good?

Dont think hes saying the boarding is bad on this one just wants a strait angle instead of a curve so the easy solution would be a stop bead why fanny about any other way easy to fix an work too.an no danny they are fx...g shite mate big hinge on em that dig in

We would get the joiners to plane some thin timber into a feathered edge and screw to the wall where it meets ceiling angle, levelling the feather edge and margin it from floor. Would then scrim and bond entire ceiling, getting it tight to the feather edge but just a few mm back to allow for skim coat, trowel up and leave skimmed and edge on for a day, unscrew feather edge and viola!!! This has worked a treat for us when we have needed to do the same. Our preferred way is to put a floating stop bead across wall, same principle as feather edge, and bond ceiling with a slight round onto bead, this separates wall from ceiling and eliviates that crappy angle that never seems to be straight, but your client may not go for that, in my experience they are usually fine with it as the bead is straight and you also have the break between ceiling and wall so they can paint two different colours if they wish.

Put something straight and flush to the joint and run a 4 inch band of easi fill or something through it after it's plastered

Thought You might like to see this vaulted ceiling I did a few years ago. There was a lot of head scratching first day on site- but turned out a nice job. The Very fussy client was delighted.

Attachments

• 084.JPG
    084.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 292
  • 085.JPG
    085.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 251
  • 086.JPG
    086.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 253
  • 087.jpg
    087.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 268
  • 088.jpg
    088.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 304
Dont think hes saying the boarding is bad on this one just wants a strait angle instead of a curve so the easy solution would be a stop bead why fanny about any other way easy to fix an work too.an no danny they are fx...g shite mate big hinge on em that dig in
Get the versa trowel monk they are mustard

Thought You might like to see this vaulted ceiling I did a few years ago. There was a lot of head scratching first day on site- but turned out a nice job. The Very fussy client was delighted.

looks canny graft there Dan. so whats ya tips for keeping the angles straight then marra??

Sorry can't help with Plastering advice - But If you find a good Metal fixer/tacker pay him what he's worth and hold on to him !!! ( Contractor I did this for cut my money then laid me off shortly after this) I'm not Bitter..........much.

Get back there with your axe and start clawing back some wages...........if you know what a mean............:RpS_wink:

Get back there with your axe and start clawing back some wages...........if you know what a mean............:RpS_wink:[/QUOTE]

I would but it was 30ft above a swimming pool !!!

Pull a chalk/laser line through bond out then skim away. The marshall town adjustable angle trowels are great for these angles but treat them like a plazzi and sand lightly before each use with some wet and dry paper.

Lovely bit of boarding there mate,was it skimmed as a complete round after or each angled section individually?

Status
Not open for further replies.