Various polished plaster jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust you Jess to find a vid of a lady doing it, I've watched many vids on Venetian and never seen a woman doing it :)

you're so sexist lol

research so far..... Venetian Plaster Basic Skip Trowel Application Video (short version) by Modern Masters - YouTube

May do a bit more just to double check :RpS_unsure:

Hi Jess,

this youtube clip is a synthetic version of venetian plaster and is layered and polished in a very different way to traditional lime based plaster. Found more in America than over here. Try these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It5ewv3IBfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx_m56XhNn4

I was doing a pale grey polished plaster job the other week but didnt have my pastic trowel with me to have a go, so whilst sat waiting to give it a final polish/burnish i had a little brain wave...
U know them little daft orange or clear edge protectors u get on ur new trowels? i put them back on and polished the life out of it and to my surprise it actually worked :RpS_thumbup:

so im guessing the synthetic is not as hard waring and also not ideal for damp situations?

Im wanting to have a go because i do alot of work for a high end kitchen company and think it would complement the them.. can this be a substitute for tiling in bathrooms and kitchens?

yes spanky but the wax to waterproof the plaster will dull the shiny finishes. But Marmorino products work well in these areas and after several coats of a water sealant can withstand the water and dry with a nice glaze.

Just looked on your facebook.. think I'm going to quit plastering :-0

Also, would you like to come polish plaster my bathroom in ladybarn? Its a little big bigger than a bathtub :RpS_thumbsup:

What sort of gear do you need for this?... actually i have too many questions, it will be annoying I'll go do some research....
wonder why you want long stroke in your bathroom with his gear and polishing

The real advantage of the lime based product is that it breaths and has a high ph rating so is virtually mould resistant. Also if it does let water in it will let it back out

Bloody hell you go away for the weekend.....

Cheers Longstroke :RpS_thumbup:

Thanks for that Mike though I was only kidding with the vid! :rolleyes)

Spanky your gross as usual but at least you get my humour!

@raggles, thanks you saved longstroke the bother lol. Have you done a course mate? Or thinking of doing one...
I was considering it but i would have to travel the length of the country for goldtrowel so will be buying some dvd's and tools etc and just having a go on some handy boards in the lock up. The goldtrowel course is excellent according to the reviews but by the time i paid for the course and b&b etc it would end up costing me over 1k

I was considering it but i would have to travel the length of the country for goldtrowel so will be buying some dvd's and tools etc and just having a go on some handy boards in the lock up. The goldtrowel course is excellent according to the reviews but by the time i paid for the course and b&b etc it would end up costing me over 1k
I like the look of gold trowel but I'm struggling to find the time to set aside and do it, think you would need to do at least a week or longer to get a good understanding of the many finishes possible. I had also looked at the polished plaster company course as its a bit closer for me and cheaper just to try it out but gold trowel course looks much better....

I like the look of gold trowel but I'm struggling to find the time to set aside and do it, think you would need to do at least a week or longer to get a good understanding of the many finishes possible. I had also looked at the polished plaster company course as its a bit closer for me and cheaper just to try it out but gold trowel course looks much better....
Justifying the cost is my main prob cos i think the payback for me would be sheite so, it is more of a wish list thing hence just gonna have a go myself. There was a guy who lived locally abour 10yr ago who had spent 10yr doing polished and venetian plasters in the US and he could not make it pay locally so had to move away.

Ive looked at gold trowel and they have great reviews ect! But i didnt learn there and have never delt with them as am a loyal server of the polished plaster company especially now they dont do the courses i never new that, if it aint broke dont fix it so i only order from them. Cant fault gold trowel in anyway tho. I might have to start lances short venitian stroke and shikkui training center with all this intrest lately:RpS_thumbsup:

Justifying the cost is my main prob cos i think the payback for me would be sheite so, it is more of a wish list thing hence just gonna have a go myself. There was a guy who lived locally abour 10yr ago who had spent 10yr doing polished and venetian plasters in the US and he could not make it pay locally so had to move away.

Same here not really a priority for me but I'm quite artistic and really want to have a go

Ive looked at gold trowel and they have great reviews ect! But i didnt learn there and have never delt with them as am a loyal server of the polished plaster company especially now they dont do the courses i never new that, if it aint broke dont fix it so i only order from them. Cant fault gold trowel in anyway tho. I might have to start lances short venitian stroke and shikkui training center with all this intrest lately:RpS_thumbsup:
i have just a had a quick look on polishedplasteringcompany.co.uk and its advertising courses, is this where you trained ? How long did it take you to feel competent at doing your own work for clients? And do you get much call for this type of work?
sorry for all the questions lol

Oh yea i nearly forgot, true that @Mike814 well said about the material being able to breathe and dry out. Am so gona get @JessThePlasterer on 1 of my jobs and take a photo for u lot. Only thing she will be polishing will be my bald head as im a familey man dont forget, i dont think lil lance or the mrs would be 2 happy if they found out daddy was polishing the bathroom with jess the lady plasterer:RpS_wink:
.... but then again imagine the money u could make if ur mrs was a plasterer! haha :RpS_wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
i have just a had a quick look on polishedplasteringcompany.co.uk and its advertising courses, is this where you trained ? How long did it take you to feel competent at doing your own work for clients? And do you get much call for this type of work?
sorry for all the questions lol
Its ok plastamasta, yes i trained there. I know theyve opened a new premises so possibly they might not ov taken bookings whilst all thats been goin on. It takes a while to become confident but not a life time, Any1 can polish a wall but its getting ur own technique what takes the time. Whilst learning i found random finishes easiar than trying to do a consistant pattern. Order a few little tubs of gear and have a go mate!

Oh yea i nearly forgot, true that @Mike814 well said about the material being able to breathe and dry out. Am so gona get @JessThePlasterer on 1 of my jobs and take a photo for u lot. Only thing she will be polishing will be my bald head as im a familey man dont forget, i dont think lil lance or the mrs would be 2 happy if they found out daddy was polishing the bathroom with jess the lady plasterer:RpS_wink:
.... but then again imagine the money u could make if ur mrs was a plasterer! haha :RpS_wub:

Cheers la! :RpS_thumbup:

I'm going to be sporting a berka though :flapper:

fantastic pics longstroke. really nice work.

As for the wet question. Instead of wax a lacquer can be applied. the finish is still shiny but now protected. Seen it done for a wet room. the problem to overcome was where it met the floor. this was done by running a thin tile set along the floor using similar colour to wall and the wass was feathered out to land on top of the tile so it was flush. Does the trick and looks good too

fantastic pics longstroke. really nice work.

As for the wet question. Instead of wax a lacquer can be applied. the finish is still shiny but now protected. Seen it done for a wet room. the problem to overcome was where it met the floor. this was done by running a thin tile set along the floor using similar colour to wall and the wass was feathered out to land on top of the tile so it was flush. Does the trick and looks good too

I've been looking into this option. Do you know what laquer is used??

cheers

Fantastic work mate, what were the colours you used in that bathroom with tile effect and was it marmorino with lucidarto high gloss ?

Fantastic work mate, what were the colours you used in that bathroom with tile effect and was it marmorino with lucidarto high gloss ?
It was biege marmorino classic @Wanna with 2 coats of a aqua wax and 2 coats of johnson water seal, it dryd out with a nice glaze to it pal...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.