Various polished plaster jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
outstanding work that mate top jobs there

i done the 5 day course with gold trowel last summer and really enjoyed it what was the base coat you used on the first stencil pic if you don't mind me asking bud really like the stoney effect under the smooth top coat

it was a stone biege coloured marmorino the same as the top coat but when applied i left it ruff so the pattern could come through the the top coat. U no whem ur skimming and ur trowel leaves them ricochet marks and little lines, well in the venitian world there called chatters and leave a great effect behind when used in the right way... Heres a pic of the base coat hope it helps

The real advantage of the lime based product is that it breaths and has a high ph rating so is virtually mould resistant. Also if it does let water in it will let it back out

Lime plasters once carbonated to calcium carbonate are fairly neutral, around ph 7.5 to 8. What makes their environments resistant to bacteria and moulds is the function of breathability which allows oxygen in and out (a natural disinfactant) to kill bacteria.

However where applicators are applying wax's, there is no longer a breathable system.

Soaps allow breathabilty and were traditionally always used.

Top craftsmanship btw, great to see!!

Really nice work long stroke. I hope phil and cain are looking after you at the polished plaster company, To jack88, these particular lines have a much higher ph than 7 , theyAre highly alkaline..

Really nice work long stroke. I hope phil and cain are looking after you at the polished plaster company, To jack88, these particular lines have a much higher ph than 7 , theyAre highly alkaline..

Ok in the tubs before application, yes, any lime plaster which has been slaked from pure burnt quicklime in to calcium hydroxide is now at ph 13...this is chemically the same in marmorino and ANY pure non hydraulic lime plaster on the market, be that from Coverit, Domus Aurea or Mike Wye's in Devon....once the lime has carbonated back to calcium carbonate months after application, it is now Caco3 which has a ph of around 7 to 8...chemically the same as chalk, marble, eggshells, seashells, limestone, the only difference between these different forms is in the chemical structure....a wall or surfaces at ph13 is not somewhere i would want to be leaning up against for too long lol

@jack88 and @Venetianzak thanks for ur comments, wow pretty technical talk there fellas, ive been trying to keep it neutral for newbies and every1 to understand and lean and i must admit reading that lot u nearly had me there lol Please explain alittle about urselfs and were ur from ect ect ect, what materials do u like to use? ...
Yes i also no that the venetian materials can be left un waxed and alowed to breathe but this also depends on the customers preference of finish, ie dull matt finish or a semi polished shine and so on. I done a job for a crazy lady once and she wanted to convert her bathroom in to a cave, dark, wet and all in a black slate, un waxed marmorino finish. Also she wanted glass doors and shower screens that floated with no screws or handles but thats another story lol. In the end i had to go back and wax it as she became obsessed with the material being able to soak in water and then releaseing it to dry. She had ocd and must of rang me 10 times a day to tell me :-0

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work man on the curved wall, Did you do this on ur own or work in a team? anyways nice job long stroke.

We worked as a team on that job, i was applying the pattern as diff plasterers have diff styles of application and on the same wall ud be able to tell, unless uve had years of practice and both apply the same. The 2nd lad was flattening and keeping the gear under control whilst swapping back and forth with a 3rd man polishing the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.