Using finishing plaster as undercoat.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tipple

Is there any reason why I shouldn't use finishing plaster as undercoat? I've got some bags that are past their best date and so go off too quickly but I could easily get it on as undercoat. All I can think of is that it's heavier than the undercoat stuff.

Hello and welcome along but, If you need to ask that i pressume you are not a plasterer ?

Welcome to the forum Tipple.

Skip it mate :RpS_thumbup:
Or are you from the land of jock? :RpS_unsure:

Bg will take it back then turn it into uni finish,.... anyone remember uni finish???
Seems such a long time ago.:rolleyes)

Is there any reason why I shouldn't use finishing plaster as undercoat? I've got some bags that are past their best date and so go off too quickly but I could easily get it on as undercoat. All I can think of is that it's heavier than the undercoat stuff.

Defo a sweaty sock :RpS_thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies (well the relevant ones anyway). No, I'm not a plasterer, but I hate wasting anything. So is the only problem the possibility of cracking? I've already used some of it to fill some holes to about an inch depth and no cracking so far. I figure that as long as I keep it well dampened (on a larger area) it should be ok. I thought there might be some genuine reason not to use it but if cracking is the only potential problem I'll just go ahead and use it. Was the remark about adding cement to strengthen it a genuine one or some sort of plasterer's in-joke?

Thanks for the replies (well the relevant ones anyway). No, I'm not a plasterer, but I hate wasting anything. So is the only problem the possibility of cracking? I've already used some of it to fill some holes to about an inch depth and no cracking so far. I figure that as long as I keep it well dampened (on a larger area) it should be ok. I thought there might be some genuine reason not to use it but if cracking is the only potential problem I'll just go ahead and use it. Was the remark about adding cement to strengthen it a genuine one or some sort of plasterer's in-joke?

You can use it as an undercoat plaster. To prevent it from cracking, layer each coat to a maximum thickness of 6mm (or it will begin to sag) and add succesive layers to build up the required thickness :)

You can use it as an undercoat plaster. To prevent it from cracking, layer each coat to a maximum thickness of 6mm (or it will begin to sag) and add succesive layers to build up the required thickness :)

Thank you. That's pretty much how I intended to go about it. :RpS_biggrin:

Doesn't matter what we say your going to do it anyway mate so crack on, just use plenty of pva :RpS_thumbsup:

Ps. you tight fcuking c**t :RpS_lol:

:RpS_laugh:
Nice one Minh, you wind up merchant :RpS_wink:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Minh

both of you should be shot, thats my joke

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Minh

both of you should be shot, thats my joke

Haha you tell em asif!

Sacrilege!! :RpS_thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum Tipple.

Skip it mate :RpS_thumbup:
Or are you from the land of jock? :RpS_unsure:

Very harsh!! The tightest folk i ever met were the English, always first out the taxi and last to the bar....

Very harsh!! The tightest folk i ever met were the English, always first out the taxi and last to the bar....

Harsh :RpS_lol:
Calm doon marra :RpS_wink:
Anyway I gotta go now I'm using up to much electric talking on here :-0

Lol, every time I see T bag, I think of beddy!:RpS_lol:
and his private members initiation .:RpS_scared:

Doesn't matter what we say your going to do it anyway mate so crack on, just use plenty of pva :RpS_thumbsup: Ps. you tight fcuking c**t :RpS_lol:
Not at all. If someone gives me a really good (sensible) reason not to do it I wouldn't do it. I'm not tight I just hate wasting stuff. Don't forget I'm not a plasterer and I have time on my hands, so while a pro might laugh at using up old plaster I can't see why an amateur like me shouldn't.

Not at all. If someone gives me a really good (sensible) reason not to do it I wouldn't do it. I'm not tight I just hate wasting stuff. Don't forget I'm not a plasterer and I have time on my hands, so while a pro might laugh at using up old plaster I can't see why an amateur like me shouldn't.

What are you using it on? Bricks, blocks? Old/new?
What sort of area?

mate their taking the p!ss, you can use it for backing plaster but you have to chuck some pebbles in it to make it hold together and some cement, not too much though maybe 4 or five handfuls per half bag mix, make sure you mix it with a drill and not a stick :)

did I just read that right?

Sand for mortar, ballast for concrete = different aggregates. Guess what, plaster works the same, i.e. different aggregates, but then again go and lay some bricks with ballast because you've got some spare. Extra benefit if you've got some sand spare you could always use it for your foundations.

In the end I mixed two parts undercoat with one part of the finishing plaster and it went on a treat (as undercoat).

Status
Not open for further replies.