Urgent Damp Proof Advice please :) Thanks everyone

Members online

RobTryHard1

I have had a quote for damproofing my cellar and the tradesman I have had around have said that they will be adding a layer of cement based tanking... A scratch coat of render, sand and cement, and then another layer of tanking slurry.

Now I'm No pro but I have done my research and feel I am capable so I am going to do this on my own as the quote was £5k. My question is.... does it really need rendering in between coats? Can I just apply two coats of tanking slurry to the existing masonry, once properly prepped? will this do the job?

I can render it but seems like everywhere I read. this doesn't seem necessary.

It's a cellar and doesn't need any type of finishing on the walls. and won't be used for anything.

Thanks James...

I have had two quotes to date. Both of them were suggested tanking the floor and walls floor to ceiling. One was two layers or render and the second was only one as I realised I don’t need a finished coat.

Needless to say the first one was more expensive @ £85 p/sq m with Over 90sq m... I’m not saying this is expensive as I appreciate trades and will pay my way but it’s a job that I am capable of so it’s needed to pay for this.

I’ll try for another quote today. Thanks

you Need to get another two prices which will also have different ways of doing it. If they are still too expensive come back and Andy will go through it with you.

Andy G can't work in a sealed basement. He'd drown in his own salty little tears of misery.

Last edited:
you Need to get another two prices which will also have different ways of doing it. If they are still too expensive come back and Andy will go through it with you.
Ok had a guy around this evening who I just don't trust knew what he was talking about. he was very cheap but was talking about simply injecting the walls and didn't speak great English...

Guys can you lend me your advice please...

Ok had a guy around this evening who I just don't trust knew what he was talking about. he was very cheap but was talking about simply injecting the walls and didn't speak great English...

Guys can you lend me your advice please...
Most cellars normally need a Newton system to advoid the water pressure tbh

If you haven't already done the job, scrape everything back to brick or stone and put a coat of KA tanking slurry horizontal and when touch dry another coat vertical, job done and nothing else to do. You will have condensation settle on the walls and it will always be damp unless you ventilate (the cold wall will suck the moister out of the warm air) your wall will be water proof though. A render on top of the second coat when it is touch dry will form a warmer surface and will soak up moister and not look soaking wet. Remember you have to ventilate to remove moister out of the air after you have given the slurry and render time to dry out naturally. Do not heat the space or use a dehumidifier while it is drying. Very easy job to do but very time consuming. Go on the KA tanking site and follow everything to the letter.