Update materials

Ian-s

Dear BG
As a plasterer of 30 years it still annoys me that when skimming I need to apply the finish in two coats. To make a good job the first coat needs to be flattened then a fresh mix applied. This is clearly because finish plaster is a poor material. It is also labour intensive particularly as most plasterers mix their own materials.
As for skimming over bonding, the suction is vicious.
Surely it's now time to stop making these materials and switch production to an affordable one coat plaster.
In Holland I used Gold Band and Red Band one coat plaster, great materials that achieve good results with less effort. This could increase productivity for plasterers whilst also being easier on their bodies.

Regards
Ian

giphy (57).gif

Nice try Ian :LOL:
Out of interest what's the price of these products

Just had to get that off my chest.....
Don't know how much they are I was there 20 years ago and the firm bought the materials... but it was great to use
Only buy from wickes mate , only ever had problems with other suppliers with poor storage and turnover

Dear pot noodle
Could you please add more chicken to your delicious pots of joy, I been consuming your product for over 30 years and this is the only downfall!
Also any chance of a free hoodie and some merchandise
Regards James.

Dear BG
As a plasterer of 30 years it still annoys me that when skimming I need to apply the finish in two coats. To make a good job the first coat needs to be flattened then a fresh mix applied. This is clearly because finish plaster is a poor material. It is also labour intensive particularly as most plasterers mix their own materials.
Surely it's now time to stop making these materials and switch production to an affordable one coat plaster.
In Holland I used Gold Band and Red Band one coat plaster, great materials that achieve good results with less effort. This could increase productivity for plasterers whilst also being easier on their bodies.

Regards
Ian

When i was in The Netherlands i only used Gold / Red band as backing plasters. I used Sigma self finishing plaster for final coat.

Dear BG

Regards
Ian
Here you go Ian.... the answer to your dreams

When i was in The Netherlands i only used Gold / Red band as backing plasters. I used Sigma self finishing plaster for final coat.
We used to finish with the gold and red using sponge and spatula, never seen the sigma stuff

Dear BG

Regards
Ian
Hi Ian, have you tried Thistle Universal OneCoat? @The Apprentice has become a convert in recent months, maybe have a chat with him about it!

Hi Ian, have you tried Thistle Universal OneCoat? @The Apprentice has become a convert in recent months, maybe have a chat with him about it!
Thanks for your reply, using one coat for skimming seems expensive. But my main point is that finish is a poor material. Proven by the fact that it needs applying in 2 coats and needs a lot of pressure in the final stages. Using flexi trowels to alleviate that pressure doesn't work as they often leave ripples.
In my view the finish needs something to bulk it up a bit so it can be applied in one pass, and perhaps bulking it up may combat the ripples. Cheers

Thanks for your reply, using one coat for skimming seems expensive. But my main point is that finish is a poor material. Proven by the fact that it needs applying in 2 coats and needs a lot of pressure in the final stages. Using flexi trowels to alleviate that pressure doesn't work as they often leave ripples.
In my view the finish needs something to bulk it up a bit so it can be applied in one pass, and perhaps bulking it up may combat the ripples. Cheers
If it was bulked up it would require an aggregate of a larger size which would make finishing more difficult or impossible to get a smooth finish with as it would roll

You got to love plasterers blaming ripples on the product.. Come on let it set and keep the trowel flat cant be any simpler.

I take back what I said about the flexi trowel, today kept it flat and only used it for 2nd and 3rd trowel, fantastic.
I still think the finish needs bulking up so it can be applied in one pass, I'm obsessed by this and always will be .