Unsure of surface I'm plastering onto

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

wakewaterblue

Hi all

I've done a fair bit of plastering before, however on a previous job I had a very very porous wall which was sucking up my pva/water mix. It took about 4 coats or varying dilutions before it stopped absorbing it. Even then, when I plastered onto it, the wall was sucking the moisture out of the plaster and it was like dragging treacle across the wall, leaving quite frankly a horrid plastering finish.

The walls looked old, battered and had previously had wallpaper on, layer of paint, then some form of old plaster underneath. Any ideas what went wrong even though I did the prep?

I ask as I have another job coming up and the wall looks similar, a very old property, previously had wallpaper on, with a layer of paint, then some grey coat which looks like old plaster and something else underneath!

What should I do differently to stop the wall sucking everything up like before? Less diluted PVA? More coats? Or run for the hills?!

You say job. Which means you're charging. Yet posting in the diy section? I seriously suggest you learn about the basics such as suction control before charging the public.

Not telling didn't like your intro!! Oh actually dont glue it at all works much better! Honest!:RpS_sneaky:

I just seen bags in b and q with a uni finish advert on , go get some of that from travis perkins or somewhere as b and q dont sell it :RpS_thumbsup: no need for pva mate

Status
Not open for further replies.