Uni-finish

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
it only pulled a little bit of the paint off the skim colour is skim from the 1st coat....i think its the uni not the paint

i put the ceiling and walls on then doubled back for the second coat. but the plaster colour left on the ceiling is like a residue colour(if that makes sense) its not like 1- 2mm of finish still on the ceiling its just as if i had mist coated the ceiling in plaster coloured paint. If you look at the pic of the plaster in the bag there is very little paint come off with the plaster

Only one bin bag..................just whole ceiling came off.........walls seem ok....:RpS_unsure:

2013-01-12142727_zps51db6022.jpg

Distemper... :rolleyes) :RpS_laugh:

Just a note, our merchants still have a full palet of uni-finish though its now safely stored unde a palet of hardwall :RpS_laugh:

i would bet that is a lath and plaster ceiling. as rhys said distemper!
always over board then there is no risk. it could have been worse you could have to pay for a redec aswell.

hi, not posted on here many times, been a plasterer for 27 years since i was 16, back in the days of serophite.
i have just used Uni finish for the first time this week and im still sitting on the fence. so far ive had no fails but at first i thought it was rubbish and on troweling up the second coat it dragged like hell but what i found on the second day of using it was that putting a first coat on using uni finish gave me plenty of time to play with as it held back nicely.
the secret i found was to let it do its work and start to go off then apply the second coat using NORMAL multi finish.
this way you get the usual finish your used too
i have to say though im getting slightly put off by all the posts im reading. Time to sit back and osbserve for a while i think.

i paid 7.07 + vat for a bag

secondly, i have found that using a watered down PVA mix on new plastered walls is better than a watered down coat of base paint. this prevents the paint from peeling and damaging if knocked and i recommend it every time. well we need to do something with all the excess PVA lol.

hi, not posted on here many times, been a plasterer for 27 years since i was 16, back in the days of serophite.
i have just used Uni finish for the first time this week and im still sitting on the fence. so far ive had no fails but at first i thought it was rubbish and on troweling up the second coat it dragged like hell but what i found on the second day of using it was that putting a first coat on using uni finish gave me plenty of time to play with as it held back nicely.
the secret i found was to let it do its work and start to go off then apply the second coat using NORMAL multi finish.
i have to say though im getting slightly put off by all the posts im reading. Time to sit back and osbserve for a while i think.

secondly, i have found that using a watered down PVA mix on new plastered walls is better than a watered down coat of base paint. this prevents the paint from peeling and damaging if knocked and i recommend it every time. well we need to do something with all the excess PVA lol.
Did you sed to mix the seraphite with board finish, nightmare time of jute scrim back then..needed five mm to cover it..

The old serophite , put a room on ,and you had time to go the cinema ,and on the way back have a sit down meal ,before you even thought about a trowel up:RpS_thumbsup:

so why use uni in the first place if ya gonna do that??:RpS_confused:

he wont have to buy or use pva, or forget to take it out the van when we have frosts!,
use only half the amount of uni and finish the walls like he is used to.

to me its not rocket science, as james says, half the uni finish costs, no time spent PVAing and time to play with. and i must admit what a pain in the ass defrosting the bloody PVA in winter lol

i just do not get this uni finish. british gypsum told everyone do not use pva ,use our thistle bond grit, now they are saying that they are using pva in their plaster

he wont have to buy or use pva, or forget to take it out the van when we have frosts!,
use only half the amount of uni and finish the walls like he is used to.
but hell pay extra for the uni:RpS_lol:
just chuck some dust sheets over it!!! no more ice up pva!!

to me its not rocket science, as james says, half the uni finish costs, no time spent PVAing and time to play with. and i must admit what a pain in the ass defrosting the bloody PVA in winter lol
no time spent PVAing:RpS_lol: 10 mins, time spent mixing and slapping the uni on ages.
defrosting??? dust sheets its the future

but like ya say mate its not rocket science

i just do not get this uni finish. british gypsum told everyone do not use pva ,use our thistle bond grit, now they are saying that they are using pva in their plaster
That was my thoughts exactly,when I first heard of uni finish!! Bit of an admission there from BG:rolleyes)

boy your good NPS, PVA in 10 mins, lets see, a room 10' x 10' 2 coats, mmmmmmm.
and still having to put the same amount of multi finish on as uni finish? i dont think there is any difference is there?

i wouldnt pva all the room in one go! id pva the wall im gonna do then pva the next while waiting about. how long does it take you to pva a wall then?

if thats how you like to do it though mate crack on, each to their own

i wouldnt pva all the room in one go! id pva the wall im gonna do then pva the next while waiting about. how long does it take you to pva a wall then?

if thats how you like to do it though mate crack on, each to their own
I always pva a room in one go as we normally skim a room in one go, size dependant off course.. but a two and one gang can do most normal size rooms in a hit...

i PVA a whole room and then skim it in one also, if it drys to quick then i to have PVA it again, using unifinish i dont have to do that so time is saved. i work alone and find a room 10 x 10, labour and set enough to handle using multi finish but find it easier first coat of unifinish and yes each to his own, guess it comes with experience.:)

i PVA a whole room and then skim it in one also, if it drys to quick then i to have PVA it again, using unifinish i dont have to do that so time is saved. i work alone and find a room 10 x 10, labour and set enough to handle using multi finish but find it easier first coat of unifinish and yes each to his own, guess it comes with experience.:)
suppose it does! dont worry itll come to you soon enough :RpS_biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.