Uneven Ceilings

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnathon

Hello All
Just after some advice on a ceiling I will be overboarding, its probaly 100 years old so over the years its become uneven with low spots here and there, if I just add the boards they will just follow the contours of the ceiling, how would you guys get around this problem, its also got some big cracks in so don't want to risk just skimming the ceiling. Its still solid and firm, no loose bits and would probaly look ok but would really like it perfectly flat, cheers
Johnathon

Depending how badly the ceiling is off you could reboard it and use bonding to straighting it out,before skimming.

dont quote me on this but i think the old lathe has basically sagged over the years and when you screw in new boards to the joists it should pull the old lathe and plaster back up nice and flat, in theory anyway...

if you want it dead flat  rip it all down and reboard it, its the easiest way

i agree with ripping it down but even then theres no guarantees that the ceiling joists are nice and straight..
i find with trying to overboard bulges you just end up pulling the screwheads through the board...
better to hack out the lump/bulge, maybe pack it out then overboard...
by this time though youll prolly have 1/2 the ceiling on the floor anyway..

Depending on the ceiling height you could do it in metal stud, I personally havent done it but was on a job where it has been done and you get a perfectly flat ceiling.

a would just pull the fooker down n reboard it you make as much mess hamerin holes to find joists anyway so why not

Hello All
Thanks for the help, I have a feeling that its the joists that have sagged so even ripping down the ceiling and reboarding will not straighten it out, bodplasterer you mentioned metal stud method, is it difficult to do, cheers
Johnathon

you could batten it out, use packers to level battens out so its flat, talk to the client tho, i did ajob in a cottage once. got it perfectly flat, cutomer thought it was horrible as it was "out of keeping with the age of the property". wanted smooth but "wavy" if you know what i mean... :-[

The job i seen it on was just a joe bloggs client and i suggested it to him, he went to the builders merchants and they supplied him with all he needed, from what i gather its just a bit of trim around the edge and metal joist sit into it and are fixed together then fix board, im not to much on the technical side of it but if this bloke who was not in the building trade could do it any one can :)

Depending on size you could always run some 2x2 round the wall at the height of the loest point and fill it in with 2x2 at 400 centres then board.If your overboarding i'd use 9mm board if its that pissed 12mm will pop all over the place.

Ive had this problem more times than had had like :'(. And ive tried all methods already mentioned, overboarded, was crazy wavy had to lay on across the joists or it looked like clapham junction if I went with the joists. Then I,ve lathed  along joists then boarded and skimmed, not too bad. Ive also underdrawn before when a damaged window lintel really facked the ceiling joists up. Must confess am not a lazy barsteward, but a hate knocking old lath and plaster ceilings down, the crap just wont come off ya in the shower.

Hello Mate
Thanks for the link, that looks quality kit, I ended up taking the ceiling down in the end which is a first for me, it is also the last time I will ever do it, complete waste of time and effort and the mess is shocking, I should have just overboarded and got it flat by leveling the boards which I need to master as the ceiling joists were sagging, managed to get it semi level with bonding coat and when it was skimmed looked really good but was not perfectly flat, client was chuffed but one day someone will want it perfect so need to be prepared for that, ayway thanks again for all the help and advice, really appreciate it, cheers
Johnathon

Status
Not open for further replies.