Undercut.....

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris16

Just been undercut on a job and was wondering what people thought of the price l put in?

Bedroom about 12'x12' 1930's with a bay window with columns inbetween the windows
Hack off old plaster back to brick on 3 walls then dot and dab with 12mm board and re-skim room including ceiling, l thought about 3 days, l reckon there is noway one man could get the boards up the stairs on his own without cutting them in half

Materials -
9 beads
5 multi
3 adhesive
9 boards
1 roll of tape
and few other bits
about £160 inc diesel

cream carpet on stairs and white wall paper on the stair walls absoultly no damaged aloud and had to despose of all the rubbish

Quoted £695 all in inc a labourer

They accepted a qoute of £420!!!

How is this possible? :mad: :mad:

what location r u ? how much do you pay for gear?how far u traveling?
down here in cardiff can get the gear for £90(minus fuel)
so that leaves £330 in the pot
two tidy lads do it in a day(10 hours long day maybe)
thats £160 cash job in pocket.(£5 each for fuel)
would rather do it over 2 easy days but there is bit of competition coming on scene
like to do it for ur price though

for me your price was about right, I work on the basis that ill get one job for every 2.5 i quote for that way i can keep my prices the same without having to go in cheaper, you willl get guys who quote cheap but most customers will be very wary of this, if two people quote around the 700 mark and one at 420 alarm bells would start to ring, so more fool them and im sure they can expect a less than perfect job

I'd prob be looking at about 380 to reskim room...180 for hack off and board (goin on 8x4s)...then mats on top. To be honest don't know how far you are travelling...access...height of ceilings, waste removal etc etc but hacking off is never pleasant and to leave the place spotless i'd be looking for about the same as you.

I see alot of the jobs which are done in a day when they should have taken 2...half the price, half the quality...keep your reputation its much more important...if you feel that would be the cost to do the job to a high standard sell urself to the customer, inform them what its like out there.

Sometimes it works in our favour...i've been to some jobs where the work has been so poorly done its got to be redone 1 in Bristol the other day plasterer didn't overboard old ceilings just skimmed with 1 coat...all cracking now...float and set all bumpy..supposed to be new kitchen going in but not flat enough. She said she called me in on my reputation to do a quality job she wants it all redone + full bathroom installation including tiling + new kitchen £30,000 installed and is willing to pay good money ;)

I'm in South-West.

Ceiling height is 2.6m and l have to take all the waste away down a flight of stairs with a brand new cream carpet then get 8x4 12mm boards up the stairs and round a corner without touching the walls which have white paper on them with a black flower pattern

The walls would probably have come straight off but it would still need bagging and taken out before boarding as well as the skirting boards and coving which has to taken down, two of the walls are straight forward but the bay window would take a bit of time and the 2 45 degree external corners

Forgot to mention when l was having a look at the job the bloke did say he knew it would take 3-4 days and he wasn't bothered about the price he just wanted it doing properly

He showed me some plastering he had done in the living room a section that had been painted with silk wasn't to bad just hadn't been flatened off properly and he wasn't happy with it

So with that in mind l qouted 3 days so me and my lab could go in take our time and do a proper job for him

I guess he wasn't that bothered after all

Alot of customers do go for the cheaper quotes some go for expensive ones and still get a shite job at the end of the day your reputation is going to make sure you get the work and the price you want for it.

In your situation i would have just told the customer that you have a reputation to work to a high standard, ure sorry he didn't except your quote, you felt that was a good price and if he wants work done in the future to give u a call. Leave a few cards and walk away.

Its tight out there at the moment...i always think of all the hassle these guys must get from the customer, call backs, threats of court action, etc etc no thankyou!

Thinking about it price seems very different...you sure they haven't just priced to skim the whole room over existing surface and not hack and reboard?

I too was undercut , was supposed to start extension mon would been bout 1 weeks work in it , priced on tues told me to do it ,next thing he rung last night he got some else a lot cheaper he said,Thats the way it goes sometimes mate . f##KING annoys you when it happens especially coming up to xmas , could of been doing with it

Customer reckon's the price was for the same work

I can only imagine they have priced for two days and try to cram it all in, l suppose it's possible l just didn't want to have to try and rush it and not get it right, he knew what he wanted and l was just trying to give it him

Never mind, l should be getting a job with 8 ceilings one of which is 40'x20' going from 2.4m to 4m in height holefuly l will get that in before xmas

I know wat your saying there free d , hope he regrets getting someone else , im going to let it go not worth the hassle

your price sounds fine to me,end of the day mate you know yourself how long its going to take for a qaulity job,if your like me the price is the price and there will be no going back to the job once its finished,hope they get what they pay for

i delibarately didnt look at the price while reading the post and i was 100 quid over ........leave em to it mate

Status
Not open for further replies.