tyzack

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruddez

anybody recommend the tyzack trowels to the marshallstown due to the price as they were the trowel to use years ago

Compared to the older tyzack the only 1 that comes anywhere near to what they used to be are the premier range and they need to be broken in the traditional way, i.e. floor screed, rendering and then the final polish and all over a long period of time.

Personally I'd go marshaltown every time. For the amount of time juts in your hand you want sommin decent and comfy.
Tyzack, imo, are very uncomfy. Still better than a Ragni though.

rudd if ya feel the need to try another trowel forget tyzack they are crap try kraft elite division good trowels the carbon ones are mint

I find Tyzacks comfy, except for the tang which rubs on my knuckles.
Old Tyzack trowels were made of Sheffield steel (still have the cover from my first Centenary double tang and it states that). Nowadays they're cheap foreign steel. I've had several pop their rivets in a short space of time (Tyzack replaced the lot).
Once they've gone, I'll probably be looking for something different - either MT or Kraft (seam ok from what I've read).

I always used tyzack back in the day of sheffield steel. then came the mickey mouse steel, loose rivets and and the blades would ripple. so marshall town now and the odd refina.

The so called tyzacks today are made in china thats why they are crap not like what they used to be made from sheffield steel

I remember buying my first Tyzack, it was just short of £60 and wore down to 2" at the toe before popping its rivets. The latest ones were under £30 each and popped their rivets before I even managed to wear the corners off. Says a lot for crappy steel.
Bit like my old Sheffield Silver Steel straight razor, it's over 200 years old and is far better than modem multi bladed throw away rubbish.

I bought a tyzak 2yrs ago after using ragni for nearly 30yrs i find the tyzak very comfy and have made a lot of money off it,so i thought i would invest in a marshalltown as i had to s&c a full house so i thought i would use it to wear it in,and still i use the tyzak i have never known such an uncomfortable trowel as the marshalltown.

Each to there own but no brainer for me it defo a wooden handle marshal town, I've had a tyzack and within months rivit popped and a mate got one he used for rendering and it's like a banana, but u choice I always check blade so no bowed b4 buy and also I get steel not stainless

Being a Sheffield-er and know of Tyzack workers in the 70,s the steel was Swedish and always has been till late. As I understand it they still say made in Sheffield but the local rag said they was shutting production and moving to Turkey. Thought that meant the trowels as no one I know of knows of a factory here making the plastering trowel.

It is the same old same old. The yanks come over with their Marshaltown 14" in the 80,s and the Brits thought they was the best like they did with the motorbike business and then when we buy the more modern merchandise we decide to compete. A bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

I use Marshaltown because they are good and I like the durasoft handle. But I am having to change as between the 3 of us all our trowels look much the same and when gets damaged they swap it for mine!!!!!!! I will look at the Kraft anyone know of a merchant? Diston (Canadian) used to be good but not come across one in years.

I will look at the Kraft anyone know of a merchant? Diston (Canadian) used to be good but not come across one in years.

we purchase our kraft trowels from ceiling and walls international ltd. they are usa imports just like marshalltown but cheaper.

Last edited:
Swedish (Eskilstuna) steel is excellent stuff. It has a reputation that rivals Sheffield or German (Solingen) steel. (bit of info their from my razor fetish :RpS_wink:)

Swedish (Eskilstuna) steel is excellent stuff. It has a reputation that rivals Sheffield or German (Solingen) steel. (bit of info their from my razor fetish :RpS_wink:)
Can pick up some decent vintage Sheffield cut throats on ebay. Swedish and German cut throats come up occasionally.

Can pick up some decent vintage Sheffield cut throats on ebay. Swedish and German cut throats come up occasionally.

I've about 30 straights, this one's a Sheffield Joseph Elliot and about 200 years old..

5182981218_d0d1c991f8.jpg

and a bit of French (on left) and Swedish (on right) steel..

Klas6.jpg

There is a deceased estates auction held here about once a month and you see gems like cut throats and other hard to get thingy me bobs there. Silver canteens of cutlery come up often. Joiners tools are common but no spreads tools as yet.

I have a modern half razor blade cut throat. Its the wet stone and leather strap I can,t be bothered with.

There is a deceased estates auction held here about once a month and you see gems like cut throats and other hard to get thingy me bobs there. Silver canteens of cutlery come up often. Joiners tools are common but no spreads tools as yet.

I have a modern half razor blade cut throat. Its the wet stone and leather strap I can,t be bothered with.
Must be a nice day out with the kids :RpS_biggrin: only joking Rigsby ,best of luck for 2013

Must be a nice day out with the kids :RpS_biggrin: only joking Rigsby ,best of luck for 2013

No, I look at jobs on Sat mornings and call in out of curiosity on way back. Sometimes you can see better junk in a jumble sale. I have been looking for a deep brief case a lately but no joy. Found one on ebay just right. Good place for fridges and washing machines if you are skint or any out of fashion furniture.

Status
Not open for further replies.