Tyzack trowels...

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhys

Dunno what others think of Tyzack trowels lately..
in January this year we had to buy some more finishing trowels as my mates double tang popped a couple of rivets and my favourite skimming trowel was beyond hope (I'd cut the heel down after a split but it got worse and the edge was jimping like mad - thin steel I guess). I also have a Tyzack centenary double tang which is nicely broken in but now no longer have a spare.
We wanted to buy some more Centenerys but found out they've been discontinued :RpS_cursing: All they had was Tyzack single tang finishing trowels that had to be ordered in so we bought 4 (shop ordered 5 to get a good discount). Since January all 4 have popped rivets! Spear & Jackson are sending us 2 foc and we returned the other 2 to the shop - hey gave me the 5th and are getting another to replace the 4th..
to say they haven't lasted long is an understatement - I only used mine for scratching and laying, in fact the corners were still sharp (the only good thing about them is they are useable straight away, don't need breaking in).
I'm dreading the day my Centenary double tang goes :RpS_crying:

I used to use Marshalltown stainless trowels years ago but could never got on with them, prefer small trowels and never tried the 'broken in' ones. Have just heard about Kraft on here - wonder how they compare to the old Tyzacks?

I have 2 i am wearing in , bought them a few years ago, there ok, but not what they used to be.Still prefer my Marshaltown, but dont think there whatthey used to be either.

I always keep a trowel for use with backing coats and render, so I have a broken in 1 ready incase I break or damage my 'skimming' trowel.

Never been able get on with tyzack.
Marshalltown for me.
I quite like the broken in ones but they still need some work.

I used to use Marshalltown stainless trowels years ago but could never got on with them, prefer small trowels and never tried the 'broken in' ones. Have just heard about Kraft on here - wonder how they compare to the old Tyzacks?

you may well get on with the disston green handled trowel better quality then the tyzack

you may well get on with the disston green handled trowel better quality then the tyzack
Along with the Kraft, another I haven't heard of until now - will have to google it.

Package arrived in the post yesterday (picked it up from my fathers as he's retired) a box from Neil Tools WHS Tyzack - two trowels as promised foc. Can't fault their aftersales service.
I agree, nothing like a good rendering job to break in a new trowel.

I've got a kraft trowel. It's a little on the heavier side but I've wired it down to 13x41/2 and I've also cut the tang down in length aswell to give the toe and heel abit more flex. It's made a nice trowel. My favourite of all is a spear and Jackson carbon one that I have also cut down had it about 4 years now, nothing touches it. Oh and I've got an 11" Marshall town that's made a crackin floor scraper.
Rhys- depending how bad the rivet has popped, it could be repaired.

I've got a kraft trowel. It's a little on the heavier side but I've wired it down to 13x41/2 and I've also cut the tang down in length aswell to give the toe and heel abit more flex. It's made a nice trowel. My favourite of all is a spear and Jackson carbon one that I have also cut down had it about 4 years now, nothing touches it. Oh and I've got an 11" Marshall town that's made a crackin floor scraper.
Rhys- depending how bad the rivet has popped, it could be repaired.

Think my cut down one was a little under 10" x 4" I cut the heal
back to the tang and wore it down over a couple of years (about a good 1/2 " difference in width between toe and heal).

As for the rivets, the front two popped so the toe was flapping like a slappers gob on a Friday night - the fact that all 4 went the same way within a few months of each other means to me they aren't worth fixing.
Dunno but I think the problem lies in the fact they use steel rivets on these ones whereas they were brass on the old Centenerys and so didn't rust.

Speaking of cut down trowels does anyone know where to get a midget trowel where the handle doesn't hang over the end......kind of defeats the object really.......Think you mentioned it before Henry, did you find one marra?

Refina do one. Not the cheapest. Local merchants near me do one, think it's a spear and Jackson, blue handle on it for about 9 quid.
I've got an old tyzack c7b that I bought off a guy I know. It was still in it's sleeve from new even tho it was about 25 years old. Far better quality than most of the shite you can buy now. Most of the steel and workmanship that goes into making them leaves alot to be desired. Much like everything else now a days.

Speaking of cut down trowels does anyone know where to get a midget trowel where the handle doesn't hang over the end......kind of defeats the object really.......Think you mentioned it before Henry, did you find one marra?
Bang & Screw?

I use one of the small burnishing trowels used in marble plastering nice thin blade, try mike wye

I've got an old tyzack c7b that I bought off a guy I know. It was still in it's sleeve from new even tho it was about 25 years old. Far better quality than most of the shite you can buy now. Most of the steel and workmanship that goes into making them leaves alot to be desired. Much like everything else now a days.

My mate goes on about them, said they were a bit numb to start off with and took some breaking in but were brilliant when they were. Said he misses them..
like the old Centenerys, I remember my first was a shade under £60! (Still got it as a keepsake - smashing trowel that)

I use one of the small burnishing trowels used in marble plastering nice thin blade, try mike wye

http://
pavan-large-lucidato-trowel-844-1-280mm-x-120mm-x-05mm_zps561aa776.jpg

like one of these H??

INOX, that's freeze hardened stainless steel isn't it? They make some straight razors out of that stuff (cutthroats)

INOX, that's freeze hardened stainless steel isn't it? They make some straight razors out of that stuff (cutthroats)

Fewk knows marra i just like it cos its shiney.................:RpS_thumbsup:

I gave the Tyzak stainless finishing trowels a try a few years back and although they were usable straight away they curled up very very quickly and lost their corners very easily. I think I had three before giving up and going back to Marshalltowns.

the midget trowels we use are stainless steel made. by swan of germany, excellant little trowel.

i have a benson one its razor sharp now i diddnt think it was till i wiped my finger down the edge and cut me self to ribbons:RpS_crying:

http://
pavan-large-lucidato-trowel-844-1-280mm-x-120mm-x-05mm_zps561aa776.jpg

like one of these H??

pavan are an excellent tool,I grew up using tyzack ( cant get them here ) and ragni for rendering /scratch coat

here the big name is curry

but my guys love these ...as do I ,through a long chain of events I brought these into our area ,they are simply fantastic ,they last forever ...i have one in particular that has spread over 100,000 square feet of a heavily sharp marble sanded finish material (intonachino from ST UCCO iTA LIAN O )

go here to look at there catalogue ...its in italian,we use only the blue handled stainless trowels ,not one trowel has ever popped a rivet ,cant wear them out

3m italy

eCommerce B2B by OSItalia

Attachments

• trowel.jpg
    trowel.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 775
I get them in Spain mate, they are the ones for marble plastering must be available here.

I've got the Refina midget trowel. Handle is perfect for the size. Stainless blade as well. Not cheap at £26

Status
Not open for further replies.