tyrolean

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenix

i went a priced up a little tyrolean job up the other day and i went in high as i didnt want it yet the customer phoned me up saying that i have the job :RpS_cursing: any tips on the application of tyrolean? i know its a case of sand and cement render and tyrolean top but have never used tyrolean before i do understand the process tho but any tips lads?

so you over priced a job that you dont know how to do? how do you know you over priced it

Scratch coat. Top coat. Devil float. Get a plastic measuring jug to scoop the tyro out the bucket. When spraying the tyro i do it on average 3 times. Each time hold the gun at a different angle so you dont get empty spots. Keep the gun moving else itll slump. Mask everything up first. Its as important as the spraying itself cus it can get messy.

Oh and keep a cordless with small paddle attached handy. Keep the stuff mixed else the aggregate will start to sink and you get an inconsistent mix.

Scratch coat. Top coat. Devil float. Get a plastic measuring jug to scoop the tyro out the bucket. When spraying the tyro i do it on average 3 times. Each time hold the gun at a different angle so you dont get empty spots. Keep the gun moving else itll slump. Mask everything up first. Its as important as the spraying itself cus it can get messy.

Oh and keep a cordless with small paddle attached handy. Keep the stuff mixed else the aggregate will start to sink and you get an inconsistent mix.

cheers mate and considering it only 5m2 if that im sure im gonna be fine, and i wouldnt have done a whole house in it im sure its gonna be a 5 minute tyrolean application

didnt know it was 5m2 mate you never said, id have gone in with a grand:RpS_wink:

Sub it out to beddy for £150 give me a £50 drink for arranging this,
then your left with £300 less materials for doing nothing :RpS_thumbup:

i went a priced up a little tyrolean job up the other day and i went in high as i didnt want it yet the customer phoned me up saying that i have the job :RpS_cursing: any tips on the application of tyrolean? i know its a case of sand and cement render and tyrolean top but have never used tyrolean before i do understand the process tho but any tips lads?

use a pre bagged render, that way you will get the consitancy right every time, for the small area involved the price over sand cement material cost wont make much difference.

I havent done much tyrolean.and can see the sense in devil floating. But just wondering would the scratch marks show through the tyrolean? I never tried it.

i would render the area with extra lime in the mix as you want high suction, so that the tyrolean dries quickly when it is applied to the render to prevent slump. the render would be finished with a sponge.
mask up any brickwork and windows
on a small area like this i would paint the first coat on then you need less spraying. we open the cullamix bag into a wheelbarrow and mix the powder dry, with a shovel, as the colour will sink to the bottom to give an even colour. mix the cullamix up, not to thick and spraywith light even pimples not heavy and crusty.

Sub it out to beddy for £150 give me a £50 drink for arranging this,
then your left with £300 less materials for doing nothing :RpS_thumbup:

or not give you the £50 and spend it on mats hmmmmmmmmmmm what to do

i would render the area with extra lime in the mix as you want high suction, so that the tyrolean dries quickly when it is applied to the render to prevent slump. the render would be finished with a sponge.
mask up any brickwork and windows
on a small area like this i would paint the first coat on then you need less spraying. we open the cullamix bag into a wheelbarrow and mix the powder dry, with a shovel, as the colour will sink to the bottom to give an even colour. mix the cullamix up, not to thick and spraywith light even pimples not heavy and crusty.

Defo get some lime in the mix for suction..........6/1/1 we normally do the render

Just a quikie can ya use ocr as a substitute to tyro which is quite dear

just use cement and sand if you are going to decorate it , it sprays quickly, and you can do it the same day as the render, and it is the same colour as the render

I wouldnt do it the same day as the top coat. And i would defonitely devol float before spraying

I wouldnt do it the same day as the top coat. And i would defonitely devol float before spraying
we always spray sand and cement top coat [tyrolean] on to tha render the same day it pulls in a treat.

i can see why you float up with a devil float as it is a lot quicker without filling in small holes.[ thats what we do if we are rendering a wall to receive tiles.] i shall try the devil float next time we tyrolean ,it will please my son who is in a flat spin to get home every day!

That wouldn't matter it would be painted anyway i would of thought

we spray sand and cement if the area is going to be painted as we purchase sand and cement alot cheaper then ocr.
we have are own truck and purchase sand at £13 per ton from are local pit

Last edited:
well got there today expecting a quick remove old render to slap on new render to go back thrusday when its dry and the first rule is never make assumptions and what rule did i break....... yes the first rule

now after getting render mats i went back to remove it and after taking a tiny piece off the bottom i noticed that its lath behind and the render has come away from the lath, now here is where im stuck, yes im pissing into the wind, obviously im not gonna know for certain but im hoping that some are fine but worse case scenario is there a new way of holding the render on? some kind of weather board or somet like that so if the lath falls off with render i can just slap on new weather board and away we go

if that makes no sense im sorry but it made sense when typing it

well got there today expecting a quick remove old render to slap on new render to go back thrusday when its dry and the first rule is never make assumptions and what rule did i break....... yes the first rule

now after getting render mats i went back to remove it and after taking a tiny piece off the bottom i noticed that its lath behind and the render has come away from the lath, now here is where im stuck, yes im pissing into the wind, obviously im not gonna know for certain but im hoping that some are fine but worse case scenario is there a new way of holding the render on? some kind of weather board or somet like that so if the lath falls off with render i can just slap on new weather board and away we go

if that makes no sense im sorry but it made sense when typing it

well did you not notice the age of the building ? tyrolean is a 1960s finish. the building must be pre 1930s. you will have to felt and e m lath the area now.

Sorry to diverse,but while tyrolean is on the agenda,
who does what to remove paint from tyrolean so can re rend
as long as the tyrolean and the paintwork are in good condition . you could use an external quality pva and scratchcoat as there would be a good key from a rough tyrolean finish.

well did you not notice the age of the building ? tyrolean is a 1960s finish. the building must be pre 1930s. you will have to felt and e m lath the area now.

and how much is that gonna cost? i spoke to customer and they happy to budge on price but i wanna stick as close to original price as possible........ tbf its well within budget to buy felt and lath.... is it the green stuff that i have to use?

Sorry to diverse,but while tyrolean is on the agenda,
who does what to remove paint from tyrolean so can re rend
I use a high power pressure washer to clean and remove any loose material, then leave it a couple of days to dry off before putting a slurry on.

Thats what i thought.just a slurry.just been asked to render over tyrolean but they wanted paint off.told them to call me when they doit not me!

just done the job and omg what a terrible customer nothing but f-in rude all day..... at the end of the day we cleaned up washed all windows cleared any mess and now im getting a call saying they are counter charging me as the patching up around the windows isnt 'perfect and it over laps the old tyrolean' im sorry but, if im not wrong you cant patch up an inch of tyrolean without over lapping it.

after the job finished me and my labourer made sure everything was as clean as possible we hosed down their drive and the neighbours as some dirty water ran onto their drive so there we were for 2 hours after we finished just cleaning

then she pays me so i thought happy days we parted on good terms......... or so i thought, but heres my problem i just seen the weather and its says that its gonna be chuffin it down with rain tomorrow, so how long does tyrolean take to dry? i used cullamix and if im not mistaken it should take about 3 days to dry properly??? so would the rain wash it off? i really dont wanna go back as no doubt i will get the blame for the weather

just done the job and omg what a terrible customer nothing but f-in rude all day..... at the end of the day we cleaned up washed all windows cleared any mess and now im getting a call saying they are counter charging me as the patching up around the windows isnt 'perfect and it over laps the old tyrolean' im sorry but, if im not wrong you cant patch up an inch of tyrolean without over lapping it.

after the job finished me and my labourer made sure everything was as clean as possible we hosed down their drive and the neighbours as some dirty water ran onto their drive so there we were for 2 hours after we finished just cleaning

then she pays me so i thought happy days we parted on good terms......... or so i thought, but heres my problem i just seen the weather and its says that its gonna be chuffin it down with rain tomorrow, so how long does tyrolean take to dry? i used cullamix and if im not mistaken it should take about 3 days to dry properly??? so would the rain wash it off? i really dont wanna go back as no doubt i will get the blame for the weather
I'd probaly get round there nice and early and cover it up, thats if it dont wash off in the night.......had it hardened by the time you finished cleaning up?

Status
Not open for further replies.