Trying get into plastering trade at 31 :)

I did a 5 year apprentiship a long time ago working with 2 old school spreads I spent the first year just labouring,knocking up bags of Browning in a mixing bath,mixing skim up with that bodger or whatever the f**k it's called,carrying plasterboards,washing buckets cleaning the crap off coving brushing the internals cleaning the skirtings with a sponge everything but plaster,it was only after a year the spreads thought f**k me he's still here with us, we better teach him abit,and now you can get cracking after just 10 days of basic training u can see why some spreads gets annoyed by it
I asked two time served plasterers when i started how long it takes and to crack it they said 10 years . I thought f**k of . But they were right

I asked two time served plasterers when i started how long it takes and to crack it they said 10 years . I thought f**k of . But they were right
Agree with you mate the 2 spreads I worked with for 12 years were old school no qualifications no plastering nvq to there name and they were excellent spreads I was very lucky to be there apprentice and learn everything the know you don't get many old school spreads these days

Hope there’s people out there than can give me some advise. Currently booked ok a 10 day plastering course ( stoke on Trent ) I know there’s people who disagree with these courses but given my age I thought I’d go on a course to learn the basics. I’ve had a go on some walls of mine at home and I’m satisfied with the finish etc but I know it’ll take years to be of a top plasterer. I’m not one of them people that will advertise as soon as I’ve done their course , I was thinking of getting some small jobs start with like a kitchen or bathroom etc. Another idea I had was try to find a plasterer local which will let me do a Saturday for them free of charge so I could watch and learn kind of thing. I work full time in a concrete factory so got the basic knowledge of using a trowel etc just wondering if plastering was a good career get into. Appreciate any advise given thanks you. Dan
There are plasterers and then there's chances take a chance everybody else does