Trowels,which one?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulyg

Hi lads,probably been asked this god knows how many times,but bearing in mind it's my first bash at it which trowel do i need?been searching and nela,refina and mt pop up any heads up for a beginner.Know a bit about mt as i use their brick trowels so know their decent quality....but do i buy something cheaper first,cheers lads.

Marshalltown permashape is good. You're gonna need some sandpaper. Not being harsh. You just will if it's your first time. Unless you're some kind of idiot savant at plastering.

Thanks for reply bud.Was thinking along the lines of marshalltown,looking at a permashape 11x4.5 on the bay for £39 delivered,seems a canny price from what i've seen.Thanks again.

Thanks lads,had a look at a couple at the weekend in diy place but did'nt want to buy something that would hinder my efforts from the off......got it in my noddle that a pre worn variety might just give me a better crack at it.

Marshalltown or NeLa :)

I have a permashape MT that is a 13 :) That is my favorite trowel :) I also like my 16 for pboard and what not :)

But the pros here could finish with a shovel so just go and have a feel and what not :)

You will need a sanding block and plenty of filler but you will be fine :)

Tyzak straight out the sleeve works ok once broken in awesome
I've started wit mts used plazis nothing beats these once worn in 26 quid on amazon even try ed nela 16 which is now a floor scraper the supa flex is nice for a trowel before a final but I still don't get the point when tyzak does the same thing good trowels that do what there made for

Thanks for the reply lads.Bit to late as got a permashape last weekend...not to worry though.More bothered about the walls im going to have a crack at,after having a look at them they are shocking.Mixture of plasterboard badly taped and never being skimmed also looks like they've had thin lats put over the joins too at some stage combined with being painted a few times.Think whoever built these must've worked at billy smarts circus too...let the fun begin.

Thanks for reply bud.Was thinking along the lines of marshalltown,looking at a permashape 11x4.5 on the bay for £39 delivered,seems a canny price from what i've seen.Thanks again.
You're right to start off on a smaller trowel.I've seen lads starting off with 16 inch trowels and more ends up on the floor than the wall.You can always get a bigger one when you get more experienced.I've used a 14 inch mt for years and it's big enough for me.

Thanks for reply.Bought a marshy 13x5 permashape in the end,thought i'd go for the mid size out the range see how i get on.

Thanks for the reply lads.Bit to late as got a permashape last weekend...not to worry though.More bothered about the walls im going to have a crack at,after having a look at them they are shocking.Mixture of plasterboard badly taped and never being skimmed also looks like they've had thin lats put over the joins too at some stage combined with being painted a few times.Think whoever built these must've worked at billy smarts circus too...let the fun begin.

Maybe put a couple of handfuls of bonding in first mix to get over the bumps etc?

Yeah defo needs something to sort the surface out,thanks for that.Funny thing is the council said it was ok basically there was no money pot for work like this to be done ha.After looking at other work that's been done by them in anycase im sure i can do better anyway.

I like Mt and I use a 20" and 14" as for me hawk or hand board I use the Mt with adjustable handle.

Started with a 13"

I'm sure @irishspread has said it on here before and i agree with him the tyzak stainless pre-worn are cheap as chips a cross between the flexi trowels and more rigid ones and you can get descent results with them straight out the box. Mind i only really use them for re-skims and board work but for the money they do the business.

I'm sure @irishspread has said it on here before and i agree with him the tyzak stainless pre-worn are cheap as chips a cross between the flexi trowels and more rigid ones and you can get descent results with them straight out the box. Mind i only really use them for re-skims and board work but for the money they do the business.

I am going to buy one and see what all the fuss is about

You're right to start off on a smaller trowel.I've seen lads starting off with 16 inch trowels and more ends up on the floor than the wall.You can always get a bigger one when you get more experienced.I've used a 14 inch mt for years and it's big enough for me.
My apprentice insited on using my 16 " I never use as it's to narrow after 2 days he decided it was best to use the 13" as like you said he was plastering the floors haha made it worse as his hawk was way to to small for the trowel he was using

Status
Not open for further replies.