Trowel size.

Members online

Casper

Private Member
I’ve never used anything bigger than 14”. Been looking at 18” MT but is it really any better?

I’ve never used anything bigger than 14”. Been looking at 18” MT but is it really any better?
AdeptFarBlackandtancoonhound-small.gif

Why would a bigger trowel be better?
I tried bigger trowels years ago out of curiousity, 13, 14, right up to 20 inches. I soon went back to 11in. Having found it harder to get the elevens I now use 11 1/2 and 12's. Way less strain on the body, especially if you're pushing s&c up the wall.

I think it is a personal preference, don’t think it makes much of a difference if any to what u spread. Blokes on here could probably put more on with a small tool than I can with my trowel in a set . I’ve used 16” for last 6 years , completely by accident but nothing else feels right now for me. Use what your comfortable with

13/5 carbon mt is my go too trowel, I used bigger trowels years ago but I find all it does is put massive strain on my elbow wrist etc. I Use a big superproff twisting handle trowel for flatting off and that’s over 20 inch I think. would hate to lay on with it tho

Agree with algeeman i use 11" and 13" trowels I had a 12" refina and couldn't get on with the handle didnt like it so gave it to my apprentice to break in and then sold it on here when he f**k*d off just stick with marshalltown never done me wrong

Agree ive put the ox handle on my nela miles better
Used to do that years ago with tyzack trowels, I never liked the handles on them and preferred the handles on the Marshalltown trowels.
It was a tight fit with a slight overhang on the tang, the reason for doing it was the tyzack trowels at the time were better made and it was just the handle I didn't like.

14" mt on render or skim, it does the job comfortably, final pass with 14" refina s*p*r*lex on skim n jobs a good un imo.

11” & 13” Ox Stainless for me and less wrist work, more use of speedskims and spats. On render slap it on and let the 1m rule flatten it.

18 inch for skimming 13 inch for rendering both mt have quite a few different sizes but that’s what I mainly use

Seems like there’s plenty of options. I’m not a fan of the flexi. Too old school for that. Give me a stiffy any day.