tried venetian for first time

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 coats of thompsons waterseal, 2 coats of beeswax and a coat of parrafin wax. water runs off like its made of plastic!!!!

its already water proof. use a lacquer as a protector though. any piccies to perv over. Im weird like that

Looks nice. You need a more superior camera phone like a samsung to get a more crisp pic ha ha.

Like the colour

might check that one out mate. need to keep the camera clean. usually take the pics for my website from the phone dont want them to look poor.

read the first page here
Calgary Custom Tile Installation Inc. - VENETIAN STUCCO

we use lacquers more to protect a wet room from chemical cleaning sprays like domestos etc its already water proof. use a lacquer as a protector though.

Ok I read the web page and there is no statement saying that the product is waterproof, what it actually says is "Lime plasters perform extremely well in wet climates by simply allowing any water that is absorbed into the plaster to quickly evaporate and exit the structure."
This is far from being waterproof. It's only by applying sealers, lacquers and waxes that the product becomes water "Resistant" not "proof"
I have been applying Venetian and lime plasters for years and would never sell it as being waterproof. Its also VERY highly overpriced IMHO, I have used most products and I used to sell them as being Highly durable but i have applied venetian plaster in high traffic areas corridors, canteens etc and they dont last much longer than emulsion paint, but for the cost difference you would expect it to outlast it tenfold. I charge £120 a metre in london and £60 up north, it tickles me when i get paid that they will pay so much for glorified paint. And none of that artisan bollox and your paying for a custom finish at most its worth £30 a metre

I like the sound of this as it claims to be able to go over lots of different backgrounds and tiles in particular, the finishes look similar to polished stucco.

Venetian Plaster became very popular here in the US on expensive homes. Every Painter, Drywaller & jack the lad who never plastered before became a so called expert at it. They drove the prices into the ground. There are some high quality Venetian products available and a lot of knock offs that are nothing more than overpriced crap. We came up with our own colored plaster system by adding pigment to the plaster, then put pigment into a sprayer (water down the pigment), trowel on the colored plaster (2 coats) and when still wet mist/spray the pigment into the plaster and trowel in various directions, if done right you will get a beautiful mottled colouring pattern for a tenth of the cost. The beauty of this process is that it requires plastering skills to achieve it so cuts out the non skilled people from attempting to apply it. We pay $15 for a 50Lb bag of plaster instead of paying approx $300 for a 4 gallon of Venetian. When done you can use bee's wax that will enhance the colour and seal the surface.

Two coats of bee's wax m8. We buy the bee's wax in a 5 gallon pail and whip it up with a drill & paddel to make it more loose/runny so it applies easier. You can also set it under a heater for a few minutes and it will get to a liquid state which is great to work with. Apply it with a sponge and if you get excess on the wall you can use a furniture oil cleaner to take the excess off, we use "Murphy's Orange oil" out of a spray bottel and it works great, it will enhance the color and sheen of the plaster too. Give it a shot and I bet you won't be dissapointed. Cheers.

Venetian Plaster became very popular here in the US on expensive homes. Every Painter, Drywaller & jack the lad who never plastered before became a so called expert at it. They drove the prices into the ground. There are some high quality Venetian products available and a lot of knock offs that are nothing more than overpriced crap. We came up with our own colored plaster system by adding pigment to the plaster, then put pigment into a sprayer (water down the pigment), trowel on the colored plaster (2 coats) and when still wet mist/spray the pigment into the plaster and trowel in various directions, if done right you will get a beautiful mottled colouring pattern for a tenth of the cost. The beauty of this process is that it requires plastering skills to achieve it so cuts out the non skilled people from attempting to apply it. We pay $15 for a 50Lb bag of plaster instead of paying approx $300 for a 4 gallon of Venetian. When done you can use bee's wax that will enhance the colour and seal the surface.

Sounds great. Any pics to look at in closer detail. By pigmenting the plaster do you mean a standard multi finish. Welcome to the forum

Yes same here pal if im doin any decorative plastering now i use standard knauf finish with pigment even used easyfil. Add kiln dried sand for a more grainy marmarino effect then seal and wax. I can achieve better finishes this way

I think there is some on our web site "eurostucco.net" I see you are from Manchester m8, I worked out of London (from Ireland) back in the early 80'S. I had a Manchester lad come over here to Portland Oregon about 4 years ago, sound lad & a great plasterer, I wish I could have kept him working for me full time but he started his own company, we share a shop & work all the time. His name is Phil Jones, he was from around the "Glossop" or "Hadfield" area. He's going to joining the forum too. If you do make contact with him,, Don't tell him I said he was a great plasterer,, I don't want to give him a swelled head :)). Really sound fellow. Cheers mate.

Try the diluted pigment in the sprayer (electric) or you could apply it with a 4" soft brush by spotting it on hear & there and immediately troweling it into the wet plaster in a random pattern, I bet you'll love it mate. Another thing that's popular here is two tone textures, trowel on the first coat with a colour added & then (after the first coat gets almost dry) do a texture with a different colour on top, if you do the texture over the first coat while it's still soft you can also get a really nice colouring combination going on. Cheers.

Adding pigment with a sprayer sounds like a good idea(cant believe ive not thought of it ha) im always playin around ive done two tone with textures many times i always add some sand for textures to give it body ane it sets stronger. Another way i use alot is apply a first coat with pigment tyen i use a trowel that i have bent slightly the wrong way to go over it randomly leaving lots of trowel marks. Let the wall pick up till its almost hard and give it another random tight coat with a lighter or darker colour for highlights and trowel flat. All the trowel marks show up as veins and the 2 colours give a mottled effect

Status
Not open for further replies.