trainee lookin for some knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmagurk

hi, im ian im currently training to be a plasterer mainly looking to board and skim, and screed floors... after reading a lot of articles on here i was wondering wether it would be a good idea to buy and use a speed skim plaziflex or s*p*r*lex while i was training and if so what i should be looking to buy and why.. some pro's and con's of each tool and times (adjusting times etc) would be great.. i already went out and got myself a 14" marshalltown permashape as the college trowels were shite and basically thought it might be a good idea to learn to use some of these other tools while training.. any insight is welcome, thanx in advance....

No it's not a good idea in my opinion whilst training, buy these once you are fully competent in finishing with your mt skimming trowel.

All you need is a decent trowel and hawk atm mate.

Learn how to keep things tidy, and how to get it on the wall properly first.

Tools come with experience, it does look amazing having all the kit but its a waste of money if your not ready to use it.

Youl know when your ready mate, i was still using a steel trowel to lay on, flatten and finish with until 2 years ago. I use a refina plaziflex to flatten and finish now BUT if i would of used it a few years back it would of been usless to me.

Stick with the marshalltown for a while mate.

Stick to basics whilst learning,all these modern flexi trowels and spats etc have caught many experienced plasterers out when not used correctly.they make the job easyer on the body and arguably easyer to get a nice finish but only when you have learned to use them.trying to use them as you are learning the trade is only making the trade harder to learn and complicating things.only when your extremely competent using a standard trowel should you attempt using a flexi type,even then you may not like or get on with it but at least you will have enough experience to know if you like it or not.:RpS_thumbup:

as others have said get the basics down with a standard stainless steel trowel...its your bread and butter and trust me you wont realise how good and dependable it is until your on a set and it all starts going tits up at that point all these other trowels become usless...

use any spare money to build up additional hand tools and access products that you will get years of service out of...

once your competent you can try these gizmos and play about and see if they help or hinder you but at the moment they will hold your progress back mate

Learn the basics and once you have mastered them look at the short cuts... you will become a better plasterer

Don't listen to 90% of the sh1t u read on here. Just remember there is never a 100% perfect plastered wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.