Traditional sand and cement render v the premixed renders.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

johniosaif

Private Member
Which is your preferred material, been old school,I prefer sand and cement, its cheaper and I can have what strength I like,I can add what additives I choose to , it has stood the test of time,,

9 m in 27 yrs ,I can take that,not sure pre bagged polymers would of saved the day,I see loads of new coloured render falling apart,cracked,stained,un even all the time

im only playing bud...you've forgoton more about rendering than I will ever know mate!!!:RpS_thumbsup:

Which is your preferred material, been old school,I prefer sand and cement, its cheaper and I can have what strength I like,I can add what additives I choose to , it has stood the test of time,,
sure is alot cheaper the last time i used k rend it iook four bag to make one barrow full 40 quid i call get 3 barrow full sand and cement out of a big mixer for about 15 quid premixed renders are a massive ripoff when u look at it. its sand and cement with couloring in it

the pre bagged renders are correctly batched, you can load the scaffold and mix on the scaffold. more expensive.
sand and cement is heavy work either hod or bucket up the scaffold. on site you may have a fork lift or a hoist.
you need an experienced person to batch.

There's pros and cons of each, it depends on what you want to achieve.
a good quality render will last years what ever your using if done right. A badly applied render will crack, fade, shrink etc it's learning to apply it bearing in mind those factors.
if your comparing a sand cement render with a scratch mono render your not comparing like for like. If your happy with the look of a sand cement render fine, and yep it's cheaper but if your then going to paint it with masonry paint, it's a pointless exercise as you'll need to keep,painting every few years.
a mono render won't crack or fade if it's done right and sealed, and will never need painting and can be sprayed , thus saving ball ache lugging up scaffold, plus never having any sand issues., but a mono applied badly looks terrible. There's other options instead of mono against sand cement, ie acrylic, silicone or lightweight mineral renders.

Sand and cement for me. I see a lot of shite rendering when driving about feel sorry for the home owners having some idiot practicing on there house

Sand & cement for me as well, never used other types but wouldn't rule them out if I needed to do any.
Prefer rendering to skimming tbh

sand & cement for me as well - completed with quoin stones, but to be fair I haven't used the other materials - but wouldn't knock them until I 've tried them

perhaps I'm just a dinosaur, or old fashioned :RpS_scared::RpS_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.