Totally green on this plastering/rendering business - advise for self-builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesPaul01

Hi folks,

In N Ireland doing a one-off house in the countryside, nearing closing-up stage with roof slates on in next few weeks and windows shortly thereafter. Seeking some professional advise on products/finish, approx budget I migth want to have in mind - for inside and out.
For render architect specified Weber TF 1.5mm on smooth sand/cement. My external wall area is c. 200m2. I'm not sure what plasterers daily rates are here these days but most trades seem to be on £100/day at the moment.
So my questions are (1) anyone know what sort of budget I need for this product/m2 and for labour to put it on (and sand/cement 1st coat - on blockwork), (2) does anyone have direct experience for how this finish compares to, for example, k-rend? - that's my external render Qs.
My other Q is what are typical rates/m2 for internal plastering in N. Ireland at the moment?
Hope some of you guys can offer a bit of advise if you're not too busy watching the Six Nations.... Thanks in advance. Any and all guidance appreciated

hi we are based in the north of Ireland ,where is the house? Cause best thing to do is take a look at house and give a price for the for the whole house internal and external and discuss all ur options

Thanks Hawker - makes sense. Problem is that a relation is the contractor and he will inevitably use his own team - but would frown upon me asking the plasterer for a quote. Means also I could not expect another plasterer to quote for the work - it would be most unfair as it would not lead to any work! So like other elements of my build I have to make best guesses in advance of work getting done as I cannot ask for other quotes (cause I'd be wasting people's time) and neither can I get an estimate from the individual tradespersons who will inevitably be doing the work. A pain in the a**se. So on this posting I'm looking for broad estimates. I expect there are standard NI rates between X and Y 3/m2 and so forth?

I am lost here... so your cousin is your contractor, he will use his own plasterers? right so far,he is obviously giving you a costing for all of this or is it a case of him furnishing you with the costs at the end? So you are saying you have no way of knowing how much it will cost to do your house other than to ask for best guess estimates on here.. I think someone needs a kick up the ass for clarity...

Close - I don't know until afterwards which isn't much good if you're trying to budget ahead and trying to use that budget to apply for the limited amount of self-build mortgage ££ that is available in the market. It is an annoying situation I find myself in but I know it will be worth it in the end - cause I will get work done at a very good price, without being charged a profit and without compromising quality.
I didn't think it would be quite to hard to get a ballpark cost of something. But it seems it is....

Obviously you trust the guy in charge and you seem like a decent honest guy,possibly naive but not in a bad way, you have trust in quality of the workmanship, perhaps you and the contractor should just have a chat over a cup of tea and explain that you need a rough estimate of ball park type costings..Keep the relationship as it is, sounds almost idyllic apart from costings info which is important to all but eccentric millionaires, good luck with it all by the way..

Sound advice Johniosaif and I can't argue with anything you said. But it's one of those complicated things. The outcome will be fine I am quite sure and I need to maintain a harmonious relationship - in my interests to do that. It'll work out fine and thanks for your words of encouragement.
If anyone out there has an opinion on the relative merits of k-rend vs. Weber TF then I'd be interested in that. No discussion of rates required to respond to that one :)

Ok Guys, K Rend versus Weber Tf?
sadly Les , I am not into either, an old fashioned sand and cement rendering guy, but there are many experts on here...

I seem to be missing something here... why cant you just ask him how much its going to cost?

my thoughts if hes your relation then why is he keeping you in the dark with the prices, also word to the wise dnt assume that someone is goin to work for 100 a day:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.