Top 10 damp proofing tips for customers

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the top 10 tips for customers to look out for when they have damp and when they are getting quotes for repairs and work would should they look out for?

Get at least 3 quotes to see what each thinks the cause and solution is.

Always make sure the cause is found. Most will offer solutions that may hide the damp but not fix it.

Most problems are not caused by rising damp. Your dpc will rarely be broken! It will be something else like a higher exterior ground level, broken drainage or filled cavity.
The Dpc is bridged and this will then create problems above DPC level.
Any damp above ground level will always be penetrating from outside or coming from the roof area.
Condensation is also a massive issue with all the new regs brought in to make houses air tight. Ventilation is important.

Mold is more common with condensation problems not rising damp.

Well best advice I could give is "BEWARE FREE SURVEYS"
Also make sure you get at least a few quotes as there can be a large difference.

One of the biggest con jobs is injecting walls suffering from condensation, we all know of companies that would inject dawns crack if they could lol.

I guess really you need to not panic take your time going over the surveys/ quotes and make sure your not getting ripped off for unnecessary work.

Also don't fall victim to the " my lads are in the area and we can do it next week for you" that is the sales tactics that is employed by the dodgy ones.

If in doubt try and get a independent surveyor to give you a second opinion on the problem.
I had to look at a job on Friday for a person who had been ripped off, injected the walls when it needed tanking, external height was 2 inches above internal.
I told her to get them back and made them look like the amateurs they are.

make sure you get an insurance backed guarantee, the standard guarantee isnt worth the paper its printed on.... the chemical manufacturer has bba certification that there product works so if the damp course fails it has to be down to mitigating circumstances or installer error.... so the odds of getting if fixed are very low , so pay the extra for an insurance backed one which normally costs 6-7 % of the overall costs..

Status
Not open for further replies.