Tool uses

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFerg18

Hi,
I'm currently learning about some tools which I've been led to believe can be used for plastering, but I was hoping someone could give me an idea of what they are used for and how. And also if they should be grouped and used together? They are the straight and feather edge (combined), screeding level and darby. I'm new to this, so I need it dumbing down.
Thankyou

Here is a constructive reply for you
1. Straight edge used for ruling off screeds on walls etc and a heavier version for floor screeding. Can be aluminium or wood about 125 mm wide 25 mm thick up to 3 metre long. (floor better in wood an 50mm thick)
2.Feather edge Usually used on lighter weight material for ruling off and smoothing in the floating coat. Aluminium about 2merte long and about 20mm thick
3.Darby his similar to a feather edge but shorter with two handles on used for closing in work
4. Trowelsl there are different types dependent on the material you are applying. steel. stainless steel and plastic
5. Floats again there are different types, wood crossgrain,wood straight grain,sponge and plastic all ahave different uses.
6. Angle trowels used for forming freehand internal and external angles.
7.Guaging trowel, bucket trowel. Self explanitory
8.Small tools, picking tools,joint rules.Used a lot by fibrous plasterers
There are many other tools used in the trade try looking up Benson tools on the web and you will get pictures. You could also buy a book from plastering books to help youIf you need further help with tools PM me

Thanks. I don't plan on using the tools I just need to know about them. All I was given was a page in a catalogue that says stuff like:

"The combined Feather Edge and Straight Edge is made from extruded mill finished Aluminium which is exceptionally light and manoeuvrable. Manufactured with one tapered edge and one flat edge, it can also be used as a straight edge for ruling and cutting... has one edge sharply tapered and one flat edge which is ideal for using as a straight edge when ruling and cutting."

which doesn't really say anything about what its for.

Status
Not open for further replies.