To skim or not to skim...

Members online

Pyrate

Customer has just sent me pics of their garage conversion ready for me to skim tomorrow...
IMG-20161018-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20161018-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20161018-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20161018-WA0012.jpg

Told him the board is round the wrong way, he's said do it anyway...
I've never skimmed the back! Any thoughts?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Should I pva it? Would that help?
I directed him to the BG website...
http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ.../10-things-you-should-know-about-plasterboard
Told him to read number 8
Which says...
"Most standard plasterboard has one ivory face and one brown. The liner on the ivory face is specially designed for plastering plaster should not be applied to the brown reverse face. Paper liners are generally made from recycled paper a big plus for the environment."

It's no problem mate I done it last week a guy did the same thing, I'd pva all the dri wall adhesive he's got everywhere though suck up like a sponge. If anything I found it seemed to take longer to go off weird but never mind.

It's no problem mate I done it last week a guy did the same thing, I'd pva all the dri wall adhesive he's got everywhere though suck up like a sponge. If anything I found it seemed to take longer to go off weird but never mind.
Yeah gonna give it a go!
Who knows, might get paid to do it twice ;-)
I'm sure it says "plaster the other side" or something like that on the board doesn't it?

Yeah gonna give it a go!
Who knows, might get paid to do it twice ;-)
I'm sure it says "plaster the other side" or something like that on the board doesn't it?

It should be fine it's not recommended in plastering standards but I'm sure it won't fall off. He's not called back anyway. Haha
I think it does say something like that actually I'd be more worried about him putting enough dabs on the boards to be fair but best of luck hope all goes well.

No need to pre treat you won't even notice the difference!

But yes certainly cover your back and accept no liability etc...

Its awin win for you mate, can moan like f**k, and customer has to eat humble pie!!!

And if there ever was a problem which there isn't you will be paid to re do

The only problem occurs when the paper on the grey side isn't stuck to the gypsum and bubbles up.
If the boards have been on for over 6 months it sucks like a whore looking to score some crack.
Other than that not a problem as that is the side we skimmed when I started out anyhow!

lol I remembver arguing with a site agent about the same... he insisted that I hand stuck the board on the wrong way round... been a long time since you plastered the the back of the board :D has to be at least 10 years

Used to be grey side for plaster, ivory for tape and joint. Bosh it on anyway, doubt that'll be a problem, but if it is.........it's his....lol (all the way to the bank)

the ivory side of the board has bonded edges, therefore when fitted the weight of the plaster cannot pull the paper from the board.
the grey side is recycled paper, no bonded edge, no minute pin holes to receive the plaster. the weight of a skim coat will not be a problem it is when you put bonding coat or heavy plaster on the grey board it may pull the paper off.

All went fine, boarding was shockingly bad though, gaps everywhere, socket cut outs far to big, they'd put paper tape corners round the window and doors dobbed right out.
Prep took ages.
All done, they're happy and I'm paid

How much did you get

All went fine, boarding was shockingly bad though, gaps everywhere, socket cut outs far to big, they'd put paper tape corners round the window and doors dobbed right out.
Prep took ages.
All done, they're happy and I'm paid

Could tell it was a bad job by all the jism on the board joins.

Haha, risky territory...
If I was expensive I'd get slated, if I was too cheap I'd get slated.
Let just say I was very happy with the amount for a good days work [emoji6]

What was the amount. I made 420 yesterday and about 100 today now it's my fault we are taking prices f**k Danny