To old or what ?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
you cover everything boarding ceilings,skimming,float and set, floor screeding,coving you name it weve done it the float and set is done with sand and cement so almost same as rendering. and yes you are assesed
wilber said:
Berbie what have you done in the first three weeks then pal ?keep us informed mate.
How does the city&guilds qualification work,are you assesed at the end of the six weeks ?

go for it mate, forget the plastering course whats your drinkin like at the minute this also an essential part of the plastering trade, always get reccomended for a sesh

wilber, i did the g.t. course in 2005 and have been spreading on the domestic front full time ever since, i was 42 then and made a go of it, and a "passable" living.

But in hindsight i would of done many things very differently indeed, mostly with regard to the training i got.

email me if it would help you, db012j2932@blueyonder.co.uk, im loath to discuss certain "plastering courses" after the ebuild debarcle.

Im nearly 36 been plastering since iwas 17,i got carpell tunnel in both hands,serious aches and pains on /off in right wrist,reghulary having to spend £60 a week on a ciropractor to sort out neck and shoulder problems.i know deep down i got 5 max ten years left.To earn the money you got banging out 2-3 set a day and still have enough energy to go and qoute afterwards.
I would recommend doing an electrcaL course mate!!! more money less hastle no mess no stress.BE WARNED PLASTERING AINT FOR PUSSYS.By the time your upto speed and capable of earning the money youll be ready for the knackers yard.It took me till i was 21 to do 3-4 mixes a day and by the time i was 31 was down to 2-3 a day.
Ceilings will kill ya at 41 just starting out.

or just go domestic and rip everyone off like youre fellow compantriots you think there plasterers ;D ;D ;D

lonestar said:
wilber, i did the g.t. course in 2005 and have been spreading on the domestic front full time ever since, i was 42 then and made a go of it, and a "passable" living.

But in hindsight i would of done many things very differently indeed, mostly with regard to the training i got.

well well well ....lonestar aka mr bird....slagging off GT....is that because u got banned from their forum for talking absolute twoddle...mmnnnnn....i remember the absolute t**t u made of yourself on there very well...., and started lots of arguments as you didnt really know what u were talking about..probably still dont....so now u turn up on another site and scream from the highest height how u would have done thing different in your training.mmmnn you dont sound bitter......lol......funny last i heard you were a failed plasterer and were being a cab driver.....
i found some people who wanted to learn did very well from their course at said college.several i have worked with......others ( yourself included) dont matter what course/college/learning they have their still shite..
...i also heard from a very good source a while back ..that u dont need climbing crampons to climb the walls that u lay ..suppose theres a good market for climbing walls at sports centres..you should try it.....sure it pays better that being a cabby :eek:0
as with anything in this life its what u put into it....to what u get out of it...all i know its served me well and put me in good steed for this trade...a course starts u off in the trade.
only you can take it from there.......must be something in the water round your way......cause to 2 other idiots who worked with you are just as bad.......
Phippsy333 xx

perhaps lonestar is telling the truth, god forbid someone slagging gt off !!!. is the punishment still hanging ?

who gives a f**k plastering courses wont teach you how to plaster and ill take them to court if they disagree ............jokers ;D

spunky point is the bloke was a right bellend.......bitter and twisted......on that forum he was just bit of a numpty.....didnt matter what course he was on....i was on the forum a good few times..and he was telling people the wroung things..plain and simple and when people pulled him up on it he started getting right moody..and arguing about it insulted me some mates on there not even in a funny way... numbers of times...ended up just egnoring him ...but wouldnt go away so we voted to ban him...........proper kok...sorry to spout couldnt help myself....

yep..... .was there about 4 to 5 years ago...when it was under different ownership....and like their forum....have friends i met there..worked with 2 regularly....mellow forum..not a dictatorship like some i could mension...blokes from GT dont offten evem come on it...advice is really from old hands.....nice place...u can crack some funnies there and people dont take it the wroung way

Still the best training centre would you say ?
What course course did you do and do ya think it was worth doing ?
sorry all the questions pal.

:-[.....see what youre saying phippsy they cant be too soft ;)

honestly i think better..still have the original ways of teaching ...but think they arenow.doing new courses in bagged renders now when i lwas there it was s&c with a moody weak mix..... but u get nvq's there now ..so i think standard has gone up..not that it wernt good before.....think i should go for commission......when i started thinking about doin a course i saw 2 one in essex and another near cambridge where im from......at time didnt wanna waste money doing a moody course..the other courses were well moody......saw this one and thought yeah ok....after that hooked up with an old hand at the game..even oftyer one of these course you have to get your hand in, your not gonna be superstar straight away u really need to practice...and that means dedication in learning something new...some want it that much..others cant hack it...me personnally i needed it...redundant..no real skills apart from painting and illegal activities...new young family ....needeit..but now im doing it i love it.......but i am slightly mental........and really most of the other plasterers ive met are mental....to differing degrees..yes ..but mental nevertheless....so if your mental get on a course lol....

fair play phipps at least you realized its not as straight forward as you thought, unlike others, and you are keen to learn, ive been doing it 26 years and still learning !. and make the odd fook up,.

had a shite day today.....im cambridge..do work for kitchen company...good work from them...swanky houses etc......the companies organizer brother needs some work done....gidea park....up and in the van by 6 expecting moody traffic cause of that gsummit bellucks...so at job by 7am....left 7.20 pm...moody everything...job need to be done by weekend....tiles straight onto plasterboard tape and skim...evrthing is mashed up after the kitchen removal has gone on....just a really crap day
and im on a forum still talking about plastering...def mental...

refurbs ;D......ive been told to skim a ceiling tommorow at 12 after a morning on site ......apparently the dryliners putting a suspended ceiling in and taking his own dust sheets and will leave them for me .....there his own curtains out of the loft ;D........yeh youll be alright ;D.....plastering companys arent geared up for domestic work ;D.....oh by the way the customers fussy ;D

just like the dryliners mrs is gonna be when shes tries to close her curtains tomorrow night....if she can...bet the poles cant take the weight ;o)

schhveriskodosiki ..............show me youre drapeskis........with the nice pull cord skis 8)

spunkybum said:
refurbs ;D......ive been told to skim a ceiling tommorow at 12 after a morning on site ......apparently the dryliners putting a suspended ceiling in and taking his own dust sheets and will leave them for me .....there his own curtains out of the loft ;D........yeh youll be alright ;D.....plastering companys arent geared up for domestic work ;D.....oh by the way the customers fussy ;D
get yerself a couple of 5mx4m tarps from wickes or somewhere mate, theyre only about a tenner..it means you can mix in the room and be as messy as you like if your in a panic..

i only use sheets for the hallways to walk on..
to clean em just lay em out in the garden for half an hour to make sure their dry and sweep em with a brush.. easy as..

still, most jobs if the carpets only half decent i just roll it up if theyve not done it, leave it shortways down the long way of the room and sling a tarp over that.. easier round the edges then..

Status
Not open for further replies.