To get a labourer or not

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

markj

I am thinking about trying to get a lad to help me and make my life a little easier ...whilst also helping them to learn the trade....

But I am not sure if ( A) it would make life easier and (B) where would I even begin to find a lad that doesn't want stupid money or that wants to learn .......

Never had a labourer before. .

Is it worth the cost....
Does it make getting the jobs harder due to extra cost ...

Any thoughts

Thanks

Mark

All depends what job it is mate , a basic reskim and well the lab wouldnt have much to do , if say its board and skim a ceiling yea it would save you ......

Contact your local construction college plenty of people looking for apprenticeships. Admittedly it can take a while to find a good one had quite a few at my firm and had to send the majority back out of 8 we had at various time 3 ended up with jobs. Lots of people end up in construction as a last resort and it shows but a few genuinely want to learn! The wage is minimum £12.50 a day and my gaffer did get payouts for the ones we took on of around £3k worth speaking to the college at least see what incentives they are offering. We had a couple where the college paid the wages for a period of time.

Wouldn't be without a labourer makes life real easy for me I can put more on while he cleans the buckets n pvas the next pile of walls I.ll b skimming then cleaning up at the end of the day its hard enough putting it on without tending till yourself also

I spoke to the local college about getting a boy, you can get a lad doing "the course" think all you pay is about £3 quid something an hour but has basic knowledge and you can get it subsidised I believe for taking some one on CITB may know more information

hi Danny

a year ago I completed 2 months training at goldtrowel down in Essex, since then I haven't really been plastering just the odd job for family as I couldn't find work. are you looking for anyone as more of an improver for now wouldn't take me long to get back into it. I have my own tools etc.. I live in Dereham and currently looking for work as I've only just moved up from Essex.

You can get a lad 16 - 24 year old on a government incentive CITB scheme and if you keep him for the 3years ,(including advanced craft cert) you get over £10,000 in grants. Plus an extra £1500 after him/her completing 13 weeks employment with you tax free!! Worth getting in touch with your local CITB dogsbody and ask? They can help source an apprentice for you if need be??

You need to ask yourself a few questions. How long have you been in the trade? Can you pass on anything to them? Can you afford to pay them each week or month? Have you thought about your insurance etc.

You need to ask yourself a few questions. How long have you been in the trade? Can you pass on anything to them? Can you afford to pay them each week or month? Have you thought about your insurance etc.

Very true
I would like to think that I could pass on some knowledge have only been in the trade for about 6/7 years but I am still learning all the time..
Even reading things on here have been very informative and useful
As for can I afford to pay them every week or month and insurance are things I will have to look into

Status
Not open for further replies.