to drop or not to drop?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpoon

in the process of buying a property and the ceiling height downstairs is 9ft roughly at a guess, but the upstairs is all 3m! im gonna thermal board the external walls... but in 2 minds whether or not to put suspended ceilings in and insulate ceilings too, or just get up into the loft space and lay more insulation (i have no idea whats up there now) house is a 2 bed mid terraced and just 2 bedrooms and big bathroom, im thinking if i lower the ceiling height it may make the rooms looks smaller and insulating the loft and external walls will be the better option?

still has the old style "freeze" rail goin round the rooms at 9ft and is made of pre-cast blocks so guessing theres no wall insulation due to no cavity but these type of buildings are new to me so i could be completely wrong :confused:
11436_0133_HRT013308527_IMG_00_0001.JPG

I think high ceilings add to the character if I was dropping them I personally would keep it to a minimum but why do that if not necessary just extra expense

Barrys right.Youd be wasting money that ud never get back creating work you dont need to.I could be well wrong here but im assuming this is ur first house as it only 2 bed,Now we all get exiceted and wanna throw loads money and work on our first houses getting them how we want them etc etc but in reality just use it as a stepping stone cus within 5 years ul want a 3 bed with a garage or a 4 bed.
Just chill move in enjoy it sel it on and move up the ladder at minimal costs is my advice pal.You make it how you want it when its ur dreAM HOUSE UR FAMILY HOME WERE U aint ever moving from ever.

Do your loft mate and get a grant for the insultion. You may start thinking about how best to insulate the passage wall . Have you checked out the dpc.

the last thing i want to do is create more work for myself, if i can dab a few boards on and keep the place warm without having to lower the ceiling height i wont do it.
is my first house yes, i intend on spending as little as possible unless its essential. think i'll spend no more than £1k in matts for the interior and freshen the place up (freshly skimmed and painted etc, already got a new kitchen fitted) bathrooms hideous but new bath suite isn't expensive and work can be carried out by myself. as for the outside, theres a good 3x3m square area behind the bushes you see in the garden photo which is raised up with a shed, could take that down and replace with a raised patio area as the sun will shine over the house on that area all day long. theres a lean to at the back with 2 outhouses also, thinkin of blocking the front up rendering it and making it 1 2x2m storage area with entrance to it via the garden. i can see myself here for a few years but the main reason is to get me on the market and paying off the mortgage, looking to invest 50 50 with parents and develop something in the future, but i may well be happy where i am for now. see what happens

Last edited:
I now understand where youre coming from....... And if you over ordered a say 25 bags of fiinish 80 litres of white paint and 20 sheets of celotex house sorted right ?
Now thats a diferfernt story pal ;)

building materials are basically free, will need to pay for a couple of lintels when doing the outhouse thing and the paint, so pretty much all my own labour.

mortgage, £260 over 25, 3%

wHat you should be doing is overpaying your mortage by 20% minmum.While you got this rate.WHen i bought my first house in 1991 intesrest rate with Noricwh peterborough building society was 12.5 % + ENDOWMENT

its fixed rate for the lifetime of the loan hsbc premier account (due to dad) but as soon as my wages increase im upping the ammount i pay back, will be over 20% as i believe there wont be a penalty charge so can up and down the payment as i wish

Status
Not open for further replies.