Tips on overboarding a cieling

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeT

Having a bash at my mum's ceiling,it's artex that's damaged( sagging due to leak in bathroom) I am planning on overboarding,some tips on finding joists? Do you need to punch holes and find from there?

Yeah either holes both sides of the room then string line , where the ceiling has dropped if you cant get it back up pull all that bit down and pack the joists with cuttings of board to bring down to the existing then board over the lot :RpS_thumbsup: u can also find them with a drill and jus put lil holes in also ....

Get a combi drill and a ver small wood or HSS bit, and drill through locating the joists a lot cleaner faster way of doing it, take a look in the loft and find out which way they are running, locate the start and end of a joist with the drill then mark between the two, once you've marked all of them ping a caulk line across each marks..

Good luck and it's much easier with another pair of hands...

Oh and the sag try pushing it back up and screwing a few screws in 9 times out of 10 it will pull the sag in.

Good luck!

Get some pics up bud

Get a combi drill and a ver small wood or HSS bit, and drill through locating the joists a lot cleaner faster way of doing it, take a look in the loft and find out which way they are running, locate the start and end of a joist with the drill then mark between the two, once you've marked all of them ping a caulk line across each marks..

Good luck and it's much easier with another pair of hands...

Oh and the sag try pushing it back up and screwing a few screws in 9 times out of 10 it will pull the sag in.

Good luck!

Get some pics up bud

One person is fine just put a screw in middle of joist and click ur string on to that :RpS_thumbsup:

Cheers,I'm doing it with my cousin he's not plastered for a while but looking forward to getting him on it and maybe persuade him to get back into it

I would if i was using 8 foot boards , jus lil box rooms etc when a wud be on me todd . Try it that way george sum times joists arnt where they should be and u may have to get ur latin hammer oot

4 inch nail and hammer have always been my weapon of choice.Once you have found the centre this will double up for holding your chalk line to mark up. I agree i try to pull the sags out with screws first in original ceiling. If this fails i get the multi tool out and cut an inch slot in the centre of the 2 joists. a jab saw will do the same thing. Once you have done that the new board will easily push the sag up.Worst case if its that bad i cut say 300 out of a 400 centre . Make sure you go ott with screws as this will pull the old ceiling up that will have been clout nailed.As well as the new board. Jobs a bad en :RpS_wink:

i went to help out a mate who was doing some work on his own place, when i turned up he and his dad had all ready boarded the ceiling :RpS_laugh:

didnt bother looking for joists just screwed the frigging boards up:RpS_thumbup:

fuk knows how its still up there :RpS_confused:

Seen that a few times random screws everywhere.My mate just uses a hammer. Oh look a sagged area .wheres my hammer at

or get a stud detector :RpS_thumbup: i had to throw mine away :-( it kept going off every time i touched it :RpS_confused: i think it was trying to tell me something :RpS_wink:

I have had the pleasure of meeting Jesssop . I can tell you now with the 1 meeting i had, He is a professional .Greeted me by telling me had a massive hangover and needed feeding and breakfast better be good. He talked the talk once he was fed .Sounds like me most days to be fair :RpS_cool:

Drill idea wins,will post some pics of the job.

Until you clip or go through a pipe or cable, then it ruins your day. Using a hammer on the other hand will lift the cable or pipe without damage, or at worst put a dent in the pipe.

My mate says use lath hammer Ewing one, quicker. Anyway retired spreader says he made his own tools for ashlar by using copper pipe and imitation bricks by using window wiper ! Seen his photos and he's awesome but he old and poorly. Once he has worked at Chatsworth House with fibrous stuff.
interesting :RpS_mellow:

fibreous is so G** its unbelievable!!!...real men graft not play with girly moulds on a bench pretending to be proper tradesmen!!!

Just get a hammer, the joists are normally just over a hammers length apart. Hit the ceiling gently and you'll know the difference in sound solid or holo. Hit solid hit it harder will be joist just to double check ffffffffff .....

I used to make a hole or use a nail. Now I use a cut down saw knife (cut down so it doesnt bend) tap it through the ceiling. Saw til you find the edge of a joist same the other side. Added bonus of seeing how thick the joists are rather than just finding the centres with a nail. No risk of drillig through a pipe or wire, just saw gently and you feel if you touch anything. and nowhere near the dust and mess from smashing holes in it. Mark both edges and centre and Ive just tied a nail to the end of my chalk line

I mostly start at the pedant. The light fitting will most times have a joist to the side or directly above it. Then it should be 400 -600 centres but it can vary very wide depending on how old the house is. Once i have the first joist I will measue from the centre. If I cannot find the next I will just poke a small holl through with a screwdriver and put a wire coathanger through until I can feel the next joist and mark it. Its easy when you get the hang of it. I never use a chalkiline but just do a couple of boarsd atime and poking through as i go.Its easy and quick.

phhhhhhhhhhhh.....don't listen to em mate dont get bogged down in all this joist talk....just screw em where ever yer fancy...youl be paid before they fail ish maybes sometimes!!!:RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.