Tips for repairing internal & external corners on walls

Members online

Dazzauk83

Hi Guys

i have decided to do some DIY on my home, as my house is a 1930's end terraced you probably can imagine the amount of movement over the years which has lead to quite a few cracks on the walls and ceiling.

So i decided to start patching them up, I have made the cracks bigger then used scrim tape and plaster to cover the cracks,not used scrim tape on all cracks mainly high traffic areas like above and around doors etc.

Now i need a little help on making the corners look tidy and straight,both internally and externally ,can i used scrim tape on the corners? or would it be better for me to peel away the plaster and expose the bead and then plaster over it again?

Like i have said i have only been doing this DIY stuff for about 2weeks tops,( i do enjoy it btw) so feel free to tell me off if i am doing things wrong.

cheers

Hi Guys

i have decided to do some DIY on my home, as my house is a 1930's end terraced you probably can imagine the amount of movement over the years which has lead to quite a few cracks on the walls and ceiling.

So i decided to start patching them up, I have made the cracks bigger then used scrim tape and plaster to cover the cracks,not used scrim tape on all cracks mainly high traffic areas like above and around doors etc.

Now i need a little help on making the corners look tidy and straight,both internally and externally ,can i used scrim tape on the corners? or would it be better for me to peel away the plaster and expose the bead and then plaster over it again?

Like i have said i have only been doing this DIY stuff for about 2weeks tops,( i do enjoy it btw) so feel free to tell me off if i am doing things wrong.

cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191007-150548_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20191007-150548_Samsung Internet.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 211
Hi Guys

cheers

What do you mean 'plaster'? What sort of plaster have you been splodging on these cracks of yours and I've really got to ask about your plans to use scrim tape instead of bead.

I suppose you could feather new beads up if you really wanted but you're very likely to make a mess of it.

The thing DIY people fail to grasp is that by the time you'd pissed about like that, could have had both walls up brand new.

Sounds like a re skim job to me.

How bout some pics?

What do you mean 'plaster'? What sort of plaster have you been splodging on these cracks of yours and I've really got to ask about your plans to use scrim tape instead of bead.

I suppose you could feather new beads up if you really wanted but you're very likely to make a mess of it.

The thing DIY people fail to grasp is that by the time you'd pissed about like that, could have had both walls up brand new.

Sounds like a re skim job to me.

How bout some pics?

Here are some pictures.

i have added more pictures as i removed the horrible poly coving last night .

I have been using all purpose poly filler for patching the small cracks on the walls.

The reason for me wanting to do this myself is budget,i have just had to have all the outside brick work all re pointed and also the roof strengthened, so the cost has been quite expensive so far,so if there is something i can learn and do myself i will do,im not one for falling at the first hurdle.

And to answer about the scrim tape /bead question. i thought beading was for bare plasterboard work rather then walls that have been plastered already?

Attachments

• 20191007_195458.jpg
    20191007_195458.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 276
  • 20191007_195417.jpg
    20191007_195417.jpg
    883.3 KB · Views: 253
  • 20191007_195353.jpg
    20191007_195353.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 276
  • 20191007_195458.jpg
    20191007_195458.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 239
Here are some pictures.

i have added more pictures as i removed the horrible poly coving last night .

I have been using all purpose poly filler for patching the small cracks on the walls.

The reason for me wanting to do this myself is budget,i have just had to have all the outside brick work all re pointed and also the roof strengthened, so the cost has been quite expensive so far,so if there is something i can learn and do myself i will do,im not one for falling at the first hurdle.

And to answer about the scrim tape /bead question. i thought beading was for bare plasterboard work rather then walls that have been plastered already?
I don't see any external corners that would require bead?

Hi Guys

cheers
If it’s a thirties house unless it’s been reskimmed it won’t have beads on the externals, just use a filler but not easifill as it doesn’t like deep holes. Open the cracks up and just wedge filler in don’t worry about scrim. Or get a spread around to do bad walls and or ceilings and get his advice on the rest

Reactions: Mos