Timing of finish trowel and smoothing

miamicuse

First time using plaster to repair my ceiling. I have experience in DIY sheetrock, stucco and small concrete tasks, but never worked with real plaster.

I am located in Miami, Florida USA.

A bit of background. Early September 2016 hurricane Irma hit Florida and broke off a 10" diameter tree branch about thirty feet long and it collapsed on my flat roof. One of the side branches penetrated the roof and broke part of the ceiling off, made a total mess and flooded the space below.

qyDlWU8.jpg

To make a long story shorter, we eventually cleared off the big branch from above, repaired the roof, and cleaned up the mess below. Next we need to repair the ceiling.

The original ceiling from 1955 consists of a three ply system. A gypsum board about 1/2" at the base, that's nailed on to the framing lumber above. Then a 3/4" layer of brown coat was floated over, then a thin 1/16" layer of egg shell plaster over that, then over the years several layers of paint, and texture, and paint.

The damage is more than the hole in the ceiling, as the force of the branch not only punched a hole, but also caused delamination of the brown coat and veneer plaster nearby, I made a straight line cut along the ceiling to make a rectangular area about 4' wide and 12' across (from edge of wall to edge of wall).

0V81yvg.jpg

Since the original ceiling is over an inch thick, I installed stripsof thin wood furring across the joists, then 5/8" sheetrock over the area. I also had to install additional junction boxes in the ceiling due to some rewiring from electrical wires severed by the tree branch.

This is what I have after installing the sheetrock. The sheetrock is not completely flushed with the original wall, it is about 1/8" to 1/4" recessed (higher) then the original ceiling.

ctFmrqt.jpg

hi2MvsZ.jpg

In order to prevent cracking along the seams between the old and new ceiling I decided to float a layer of base plaster on top of the sheetrock to make it flush with the existing ceiling, then a thin layer of veneer plaster over that, then texturing and paint over.

The base plaster I used is the USG Structo-Lite basecoat plaster. I first applied a bonding agent over the sheetrock - I use Lanco high strength blue bonding agent, brushed on and waited two hours before troweling on the base coat.

Ax550Ki.jpg
9G8oMrl.jpg

I used a 10" long and a 14" steel trowel for this. I have never done this and I couldn't smooth it really well. It didn't bother me too much because I know the basecoat being not smooth helps the finish coat application. But I know I need to do a better job when it comes to the finish coat. I did the base coat in two halves because I was going slow. Troweling here and troweling there not knowing what I was doing and having 30% of the mud falling off the hawk and some splashed into my face, neck, even armpits.

So this is where I am today. The basecoat is on and ready for finishing.

6IXuFar.jpg

The finish plaster I have is called WONCOTE. It is a smooth interior plaster.

WoncoteSmooth.jpg

Sorry for the long post but now I would like to ask some specific questions.

(1) Can I apply this finish coat in two halves? I work slow, I believe I need to mix and lay the mud within one hour before it's too dry. Can I do a section of 4'X6". Stop, rest, go mix some more, and come back to apply the other half? Is this OK or will it create a problem because the first application will have a feathered edge and the second application will be feathered over that?

(2) Any tips and tricks in getting a smooth finish would be greatly appreciated. I understand once the mud is laid you can come back to trowel it smoother, and a second time after that. What is the timing of this? How long do I wait before attempting second trowel? Am I troweling HARD or am I troweling gently?

(3) I heard about using a sponge float to create a smoother and straighter finish. I have a coarse float and a dense float. I have read mixed opinions on this. Should I sponge float at the end? I have also seen some use a squirt bottle to mist the plaster before sponge floating. Is this advisable? If I do sponge float, how long do I wait after the initial mud laying do I do this?

Thank you for your time reading all this and have a wonderful new year.

"Woncote" brilliant name for a plaster. Welcome along bud, few Americans on here, someone will,be along soon

Thank you, I am just curious, why are the answers to my questions locale specific? Is it the product names I listed unfamiliar or different regions of the world have different methods of plastering?

Thank you, I am just curious, why are the answers to my questions locale specific? Is it the product names I listed unfamiliar or different regions of the world have different methods of plastering?

Yes, I tried to help my brother out years ago in Canada and we couldn't get anything like the range of products I am used to using over here, so I guess you will need more local advice.

But as you say some of the techniques you will see in youtube videos will be the same.

Are you patching in to match the excisting ‘knockdown’ pattern or are you re-skimming the whole ceiling?
If you’ve used Structolite as a base coat, skim it with USG Diamond Veneer finish.
BTW - you should have used blue board Sheetrock.

Are you patching in to match the excisting ‘knockdown’ pattern or are you re-skimming the whole ceiling?
If you’ve used Structolite as a base coat, skim it with USG Diamond Veneer finish.
BTW - you should have used blue board Sheetrock.

Yes, the Structolite was used as a base coat to match the level of the existing plaster. The original three ply plaster was very thick and even with some furring once it's done it's slightly recessed. I can't help it but the original ceiling was hand floated so it wasn't completely even so after I got it mounted the sheetrock was slightly higher by 1/4" to 1/8" in different areas.

I wasn't originally planning to plaster. I was thinking skimming with joint compound which is much more forgiving and DIY friendly since you can sand smoother afterwards. But I have two other areas of this house where previously someone tried to repair with joint compound and it cracked later. So I decided to try to use plaster so the existing and new are closer in the materials and might expand/contract "more similarly" with moisture and temperature changes. By that time I have already installed the sheetrock so too late to switch to the blue boards. Once I evened out the level with Structolite, I put fiberglass mesh tape over the seams, and started the finish coat.

The place I bought the Strutolite from recommended and sold me the WONCOTE finish plaster.

Sub standard job imo!!!

The whole ceiling should have been re-plasterboarded!!!

Oh I agree it's substandard no doubt.

This is a rental property. When the hurricane strike everyone was evacuated as required. No one was home. The tenant came back finding this tree punched a big hole. It was a mess below, flooded the house. It was not something that can be quickly fixed, so I paid them to stay at a hotel for two weeks while I frantically try to resolve this - at the same time right after the hurricane no contractor was available and we had no electrical power due to many transformers and power line down.

Eventually I moved the tenant to a different property. I tried to hire some professional plasterer to do the job, and everyone I contacted said they would use quick set joint compound instead. I wanted to use real plaster to match what I had, they don't want to bother, hence the DIY.

As for replastering the entire ceiling. It is a textured ceiling. House was built in 1955, every ceiling and wall was textured with this ugly knock down texture. It has been painted on half a dozen times, then textured, then repainted. If I replaster the whole ceiling, I would have to scrap off all the texture and possibly will release lead into the air, the only other alternative would be too completely remove all the existing plaster from the ceiling back to the joists and start fresh which I wanted to avoid. I do realize it's not the ideal solution but I want to try and do the best I can.

Bloody hell I ain't got time to read all that not unless you're gonna give me a hourly rate for advice? Or cash IL pm bank details;)