Timber frame render options

richard pitman

Hi All,

I;m looking for some advice please. I am building a timber frame extension to my home and looking at finishing options. My current house is cement rendered solid wall with (i think) 20mm pebble (painted).(photo attached).

Im looking at getting a more modern finish. Firstly the timber frame I was going to blockwork the front and render but now I'm getting suggestions regarding boarding the frame and using a monocouche render. I am thinking of updating to a smooth finish.

I am also considering adding EWI to the existing. The render is pretty sound but being pebble I'm not sure if i need to strip it all off or not.

Im also looking for some quotes so if you are near Gatwick let me know if you are interested.

Any advice on what to do would be appreciated.

Timber frame render options

Hi.
on your extension i would.use 12mm.aquapanel or equivilent render carrier board which will create a cheaper space saving option to blockwork. i wouldnt use a scratch render on timber frames. you will struggle with guarentees as these systems havent got the flexibility as a thincoat render has.
also if you are considering ewi you can match the finish.

you may need to hack off any blown render for ewi. otherwise you can apply diect as the mechanical fixings bolt into the structure.

if your serious with ewi i would hold off for a bit as there will be a new greendeal scheme approaching where you could benifit from a grant.

I completely agree with @Dansouthcoast84

I am the technical manager for the Aquapanel Exterior product at Knauf, if you want some more formal assistance with regards to boarded render systems, feel free to drop me a message, mail me or give me a call.

We would advise that you have a movement joint between the boarded render onto the timber frame and the existing build - timber frames settle during the first 12 to 18 months and you do not want a crack at this junction.

Best to agree if you are going to fit EWI before starting the extension, then you can set the foundations and new build to the line of the new rendered EWI....

There are lots of render companies that can supply EWI systems and have tested and approved their render onto Aquapanel Exterior, so can get exactly the same finish on both parts

Good Luck - get in touch if you want more assistance

Best Wishes
Richard Lord
Knauf
07918 766577
rlord@knauf.co.uk

Not much I can add to the suggestions above. See what board you can get cheaper- aqua panel, render board or cement board. I will advise you to go for no less than 100mm eps and thin coat render. Wood frames are well known for movement and heavy and not flexible render is no-no. Before you close the wall from inside, tuck some insulation between the studs and use " breathing " render, if possible, to avoid any future problems.

some good advice from above.
90mm eps gives a u value of 0.3 to meet building regs but of course you can go more.
but you can just have a scratch render on a carrier board theres nothing wrong with it, it just needs to be a lightweight version of monocouche such as parex ehi to give you the flexibility over a bed of adhesive.

Last edited:
Hi.
on your extension i would.use 12mm.aquapanel or equivilent render carrier board which will create a cheaper space saving option to blockwork. i wouldnt use a scratch render on timber frames. you will struggle with guarentees as these systems havent got the flexibility as a thincoat render has.
also if you are considering ewi you can match the finish.

you may need to hack off any blown render for ewi. otherwise you can apply diect as the mechanical fixings bolt into the structure.

if your serious with ewi i would hold off for a bit as there will be a new greendeal scheme approaching where you could benifit from a grant.

@Dansouthcoast84 what's the new green deal funding? Is it the pay as you save scheme or have I missed something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those deals bring out the worst standard off work
The big company's get most of the contracts then sub it for poor rates
Not a fan TBH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk