Tiling onto backing plasters

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright lads,

I know you cant / shouldn't tile straight onto Bonding or Hardwall, but can someone just explain why ? Someone told me its because they are too porous, but surely a skim coat over the top prior to tiling is pretty porous too ?

I done a wall today in browning and they wanted it left coz they are tiling, ive left them in the past, aslong as its keyed it should stick but i prefered to skim this time didnt want any comebacks.

Freerider_2009 said:
its a load of b*ll***s, you can tile straight on bonding, have been doing it for years, doesnt need a key either, tile cement doesnt require a key

Ive seen them pop plenty of times without a key what do you do to control the suction?

Always pva bonding or hardwall before tiling.

I cant argue with that if you say you have seen plenty pop, just seems strange as you can tile straight onto plasterboard, so a key wouldnt help, Id say its more of a case the cement goes off to fast and the tile doesnt adhere to it, needs to take time to dry

lewisricekrispy said:
From what I understand, bonding can swell when exposed to water.

Thing is if tiled correctly no water should penetrate through the tiles so the bonding would not swell.
That said id do it in a kitchen and id d o it in a small area of bathroom but not around shower or whole walls.
Back to why you shouldnt do it, i beleive its cus the under coat sucks all the moisture out of adhesive and weakens it.

skimmin2day said:
lewisricekrispy said:

Thing is if tiled correctly no water should penetrate through the tiles so the bonding would not swell.
That said id do it in a kitchen and id d o it in a small area of bathroom but not around shower or whole walls.
Back to why you shouldnt do it, i beleive its cus the under coat sucks all the moisture out of adhesive and weakens it.
what if you used a acrylic primer over the bonding first

skimmin2day said:
lewisricekrispy said:

thats the only thing I can find wrong with doing it, but a skimmed wall is also very bad on suction, so I dont see what difference it makes, providing you prep the wall before tiling it makes no difference in my book

no i dont think it does either mate really.if im in a rush straight over bonding if not ill skim it.makes no difference really.its just a mental thing i recons.

Board lifter would be handy for you on this job,i got one dont use it that often mine lifts to 3.5.
Only use it on bigger stuff as it akward to manourve in small areas,u still have to mess around moving the board from one side to the other when lifted up to get it in place even with a lifter so its still best to have 2 people on the job in my opniion.

Status
Not open for further replies.