Tight coat bonding and skimming

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackal293

Hello all,

this is is my first post so please be gentle!
I'm a beginner diy plasterer (just completed a short course in skimming and bonding blockwork). The way I was taught to bond a wall from scratch using thistle bonding was to apply it thick (about 1cm) level it with a feather edge and fill in any hollow parts until level, clean down tools and wait till it's firm but still wet. Next would be to run in the corners with brush and water etc and to close it off with a plastic float. After this would be to scratch it with a devil float, followed by removing loose bits with the back of a trowel.
the surface would then be ready to skim straight away.

I have had to modify this to suit my bathroom walls as they are a mixture of old bonding, skim and tile adhesive with the peaks removed. So far, I have tight coat bonded the first wall and I am waiting for this to firm up but I am running out of time.
I was therefore wondering At what stage can I leave the wall alone and start again in the morning?
should I stop after scratching the wall and then pva in he morning before skimming, or should I not close the bond at all with the float and simply pva and skim in the morning?
Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

As above :) PVA it in the morning and skim it :)

I use to lash on a couple of really went coats of PVA to really suck in and then then a thicker less diluted mix before :)

Good luck :D

Brilliant!

thanks very much guys. I shall go off to bed tonight and sleep better knowing I haven't screwed things up by leaving it till tomorrow. Just going to run the corners in as soon as it's ready (about another half hour I reckon).
Great forum and thanks again :RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.