THREE COAT SKIMING

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirk johnstone

Private Member
YOU SHOULD TRY THREE COATING WHEN YOU ARE RESKIMING IT JUST GETS THE WALLS SO MUCH STRAIGHTER, OK IT TAKES AN EXTRA 30 MINS PER HIT BUT THE JOB LOOKS SO MUCH BETA ;)

kirk johnstone said:
YOU SHOULD TRY THREE COATING WHEN YOU ARE RESKIMING IT JUST GETS THE WALLS SO MUCH STRAIGHTER, OK IT TAKES AN EXTRA 30 MINS PER HIT BUT THE JOB LOOKS SO MUCH BETA ;)

I'm about to bring something out that takes 30 minutes per hit OFF skimming, AND gets the walls much straighter!

So shove that in yer pipe and smoke it :)

Render Systems said:
if the walls are that bad then you should give them a tight coat of bonding first as 3 coats of skimming is to thick
[/
quote]exactly its not really designed to go on that thick its too brittle at depth hence thats why bonding was invented by the lovely bg

3 coats of skim is to thick???? what about overskims sometimes 5-6 coats??
Im not condoning his stupid 3 coat technique,but there is no reason i see why you cant do it if you got the time and not capable of doing the job proper in 2 coats.

skimmin2day said:
3 coats of skim is to thick???? what about overskims sometimes 5-6 coats??
Im not condoning his stupid 3 coat technique,but there is no reason i see why you cant do it if you got the time and not capable of doing the job proper in 2 coats.

just a tip if you are so ace then dont take the tip, do it in two! some people are new to the game and this will benefit them. why so much bitchiness? this is all about helping each other not putin each other down. we should all stick together.
ps thanx for callin me stupid, i love you too x x x

Dont take it to heart Kirk, as you can imagine the topic skimming is covered pretty well on this forum and a lot of the lads on here myself included are 25-30 in the trade so your bound to take a little stick for a post like yours , just take time out and do a bit of reading through old posts and threads and try to get a feel for the place and engage your brain before posting ;D ;D ;D .

kirk its not even a tip its something you do if you feel the need to do it tips to me are something a bit out of the ordinary something i aint seen before probly

this 3 coat skimming you refer to....
would you be using a feather edge on it at any point or just using your skills to get the wall flat using nothing but a trowel and your mark 1 eyeball?
just wondered because its a problem i havent really come across that i cant get round with the use of some bonding or a thick first coat followed by the use of said item...
then i just top it as normal...
and i must admit i tend to skim a lot of artex ceilings which require a thicker coat of plaster than your average wall and the only time i'd give it another topping (as in a third coat) is if ive misjudged the amount of plaster required to cover the artex in the first coat...

would you class 'dubbing out' as three coat work? as in you'd fill your low spots first and then trowel a thick coat on before letting that pull in, flattening it and topping it...

first coat on thick, and let it firm up.
second coat on thick, then feather edge, then flatten with a dry trowel and let firm up.
third coat on thin and wet, dry trowel-wet trowel-wet trowel-dry trowel (polish).

i agree you can do this with a coat of bonding but i find that when you do it the way i do the third coat is beautiful to trowel up and it will save a little but of time waiting for bonding to set.

i was on a job once with another plasterer and he one coats over old walls with multi all the time and was tryin to stop me from two coating saying it was a waste of time. his walls wer smooth but they wer all over the place, when he was confronted by the builder his reply was 'its only skiming an thats wot you get, wot do you expect MIRICALS' to witch the builders reply was 'goodbye'
that stuck in my mind and ever since then i have always tried to get my skim as straight as poss.

del said:
Got any more good tips kirk ?...............FFS

mix multi finish with paint an it will save the decorators a job oh and another good one is, if there is any tight places where you cant fit your trowel in-skim a bit of board in the back of the van then cut it to size and dab it in place. they taught me this on my two week course. if i think of any more al let you know del ;)

anyway did you have a good new year mate :)

kirk johnstone said:
del said:

mix multi finish with paint an it will save the decorators a job oh and another good one is, if there is any tight places where you cant fit your trowel in-skim a bit of board in the back of the van then cut it to size and dab it in place. they taught me this on my two week course. if i think of any more al let you know del ;)

absolute gold...
you dont think you could adapt this technique to skimming full boards at home then dab em on the wall and fill the joints with easy fill??
you should write a book mate.. ;D

Chris W said:
kirk johnstone said:
del said:

absolute gold...
you dont think you could adapt this technique to skimming full boards at home then dab em on the wall and fill the joints with easy fill??
you should write a book mate.. ;D

wot do you recon to three coat skiming mate are you goin to try it?

my skimming is that crap i usually have to go back and pva it again so its usually 4 coat....
you havent got any tips on how to get a wall flat with one coat of skim by any chance? without using a sponge is poss cos i wore mine out :-[

Chris W said:
my skimming is that crap i usually have to go back and pva it again so its usually 4 coat....
you havent got any tips on how to get a wall flat with one coat of skim by any chance? without using a sponge is poss cos i wore mine out :-[

wot do you use a sponge for mate? av not seen this done?

ERRRRRRR kirk 'me ole mate' after 27 years pushing shyte up walls, don't think i'll be doing 3 coat skim work mate.

del said:
ERRRRRRR kirk 'me ole mate' after 27 years pushing shyte up walls, don't think i'll be doing 3 coat skim work mate.

i just love

i live for plastering.

27 years, you must av done some running in situ, can u give me any tips as am going to have a go at it at home over the next few days before i start work again. :)

kirk johnstone said:
del said:

i just love

i live for plastering.

27 years, you must av done some running in situ, can u give me any tips as am going to have a go at it at home over the next few days before i start work again. :)

have you ever done this type of work? have you made a mould? are you gonna use a muffle?

flynnyman said:
kirk johnstone said:
del said:

i just love

i live for plastering.

have you ever done this type of work? have you made a mould? are you gonna use a muffle?

i have made two templates and horsed them up one a few mill bigger than other so al core out with small one an finish with big one, i have set running rules to the walls after i laid the screed on my ceiling but thats as far as i hav got up to now, oh an today i was trying to make some joint rules for stopping in the angles, but no av never done this before and i did want someone to teach me, didnt get much response so i thought al just have a go anyway. its in my own home so if it fooks up it will be ok, but if any one has ant tips or wants to teach me please do. :)

kirk johnstone said:
flynnyman said:
kirk johnstone said:
del said:

i just love

i live for plastering.

i have made two templates and horsed them up one a few mill bigger than other so al core out with small one an finish with big one, i have set running rules to the walls after i laid the screed on my ceiling but thats as far as i hav got up to now, oh an today i was trying to make some joint rules for stopping in the angles, but no av never done this before and i did want someone to teach me, didnt get much response so i thought al just have a go anyway. its in my own home so if it (german word)s up it will be ok, but if any one has ant tips or wants to teach me please do. :)

should of mentioned you were doing it earlier would of saved yourself making 2 moulds, a muffle is using plaster of paris on your mould to make the shape smaller then break off once youve built up your mould. few tips mix in small amounts of PP and dont try and do in one pass your last mix should be like piss. Try and keep it clean at all times, grease your running rules and send them longer on angles and get yourself some desent joint rules tere is a lot more to it but i rate ya for havin a go can you take any picks?

all defo take picks mate even if it f u k s up, that will be a good laugh for everyone, where can i get joint rules from mate? oh an i know wot you mean about going past the angle with running rules but lucky for me its all internals. wot do i grease the rules with? an thanks for the tip on the muffle.

p.s i made my templates out of a sheet of aluminium will this be ok? its all filed smooth.

sorry for all the questions but please try and answer all ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.