this is what its come to for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
run out of ideas to get work ive exhausted ny contacts ive advertised ive stoped at jobs ive prospected on the phone .so monday morning at 7 30 am i was outside a large builders merchants for 3 hours with a "PLASTERER FOR HIRE" sign.

the feed back so far

mon -nothing just a few sympathetic looks

tues -as above

wed- 2 people approached me and took cards.one of them asked my rates i said i would prefer to price each job he said yea but how much say a day i said 100 he said that was a little much. thats it folks its a first for me but i need to pay bills and feed kids .

Rockhardsolidplastering - first of all I want to say I admire you for putting yourself out there and not sitting at home waiting for work to fall into your lap!!

I understand the pressure you are under as I am responsible for fording the work for my guys and if they don't earn...neither do I.

I am not sure if you saw my other post with regards to BNI? I walk out of my meeting every week with at least one lead for work. That doesn't mean we get a job every week but it is at least a chance to quote for a job we might never have been called out to.

You can go to your local meeting as a guest twice before you have to join. It will cost you approx £10 to go along to a meeting but you will be telling a group of local businesses who you are , what you do and how they can reach you... Don't forget these people are all Networkers already. If you are lucky enough to have more than one group in your area, go to the others as well (they won't thank me for telling you that).

I am not saying you will walk out with work but if you don't tell everyone you meet what you do, no one will know you are there looking for work.

Another place you can look at is a 'Best of...' Go online and see if you have a Best Of your town.. this is a local site for local people who can look for recommended local services. Again there is a cost involved but f you have testimonials for your clients you can post them..

With the way the market is at the moment - you HAVE to network to get business... If I didn't do this, I wouldn't be able to keep my guys working. Some of the jobs are very small.. but they are still jobs.

Also look at 4N, BoB Clubs (Business over Breakfast) local chamber of commerce networking events, local business events where you can go as a guest...

Don't forget you can network online as well.....

If you want to talk further about anything..please please give me a shout... and I wish you the very best of luck.

Nikki x

Have you been on that site at Moor Park baths in Bispham Paul? I dont know whos doing the plastering but its a big job.

ive done nothing for 8 weeks now... got loads in the pipeline for when the weather gets better though... im pricing 2-4 jobs a week

I cant help you as Im 10,000 miles away but what I can do is say do you have a website ? it doesnt put food on yer table tomorrow but it may keep food on your table later...they do pay off so heres how I can help

I will build your site for you for free...all you need to do is supply the content, images ,and any ideas, what have you....the hardest part is you would need someone here with hosting space to donate it to you...unless you want to spring for the hosting....we could host it with my plan ,but the servers are California based.....which wouldnt help with your local serp results

Ill build the site ,show you how to run wordpress and seo optimize...your cost would be for the domain name and hopefully someone here would donate british server space....

next breath is your outta work as Im sure others are there ....and in about 1 month I have no clue how Im gonna get all this work I have about 200,000 square feet and growing weekly......anyone want to come to Canada for the summer?

s**t innit? I work for the council for last two years after being self employed for 6 years previously and redundancies are in the pipeline since these tory bastards took over! Building trade is still on it's arse but no help available! i feel for ya mate but your definatly not alone!

I cant help you as Im 10,000 miles away but what I can do is say do you have a website ? it doesnt put food on yer table tomorrow but it may keep food on your table later...they do pay off so heres how I can help

I will build your site for you for free...all you need to do is supply the content, images ,and any ideas, what have you....the hardest part is you would need someone here with hosting space to donate it to you...unless you want to spring for the hosting....we could host it with my plan ,but the servers are California based.....which wouldnt help with your local serp results

Ill build the site ,show you how to run wordpress and seo optimize...your cost would be for the domain name and hopefully someone here would donate british server space....

next breath is your outta work as Im sure others are there ....and in about 1 month I have no clue how Im gonna get all this work I have about 200,000 square feet and growing weekly......anyone want to come to Canada for the summer?

i lived and worked in usa for 15 years in miami i have a green card shame it wer nt there thanx for the offer on the web page unfortunatly i lost all my photos god knows when .i am going to get a web site there not expensive and danny (site owner ) does them cheap

OK no problem.
I believe your green card would help you get in to canada ( not positive but sure it would help )...I can put you in touch with an english friend of mine in Ontario,contact him and ya never know its another contact and ontario is only a 5 hour flight from the uk....go here

American Clay | Lime Plaster | Toronto | Ontario | Canada | The Lime Plaster Company | www.naturallimeplaster.ca

talk to Ben.... excellent lad he moved from where I am on the west coast after struggling for a few years ,headed to Ontario and has never looked back

good luck

cheers fella im gonna be honest here after leaving states i spent 6 years in australiaa nd my eldest was born there we all became citizens and even my youngest born in uk is an aussie as well.my wife wanted to come home wen we had no 1 i understood ans we came back its been a total and utter disaster its cost me at least £250 000 in.but now my mrs wishes we had stayed so that will be mt first option if and when i can ever sell the house

ahhhh gotchya if and when you make the jump back to AUS although you prolly have lots of contacts there ...let me know and I can put you in touch with a fella there who I would consider the most knowledgeable plasterer dare I say it ....the world ....he is a third generation plasterer and a damn good guy.

ahhhh gotchya if and when you make the jump back to AUS although you prolly have lots of contacts there ...let me know and I can put you in touch with a fella there who I would consider the most knowledgeable plasterer dare I say it ....the world ....he is a third generation plasterer and a damn good guy.

no chance, i see your plasterer and raise you a warriorupnorth/lucius/essexandy and so on

I fancy Canada would I be to old at 54 ?

I feel too old most days at 48 LOL most of the work here is exterior ....but there is miles of drylining/taping ....virtually every house is taped...no plaster ....we work mostly exterior on wood frame so on k-lath with sand cement. the best plasterers I have met here are all english /european

your real problem at 54 is will Canada accept you in on a visa ....could be tough.....

no chance, i see your plasterer and raise you a warriorupnorth/lucius/essexandy and so on

hahahah
the world is a bold statement I know but this lad is seriously skilled ...check this out
orca_pic2_140_212.jpg

I see that....might save some bandwidth if you let posters do it themselves .
I understand why not to let em .....incase there is an issue ...they cant go back and change what they said.
you could put a time limit on the editing after posting say 15 minutes ...then after that only mods enabled....just a thought

I m from Harrogate ...I wonder how many of you I possibly know in real life from either collage or the job site ....he is one I may know ....I worked in doncaster at one time

We use to let people do it but it caused probs and well it we not had any complaints yet :) there is a preview button so you can view the post before its posted :)

run out of ideas to get work ive exhausted ny contacts ive advertised ive stoped at jobs ive prospected on the phone .so monday morning at 7 30 am i was outside a large builders merchants for 3 hours with a "PLASTERER FOR HIRE" sign.

the feed back so far

mon -nothing just a few sympathetic looks

tues -as above

wed- 2 people approached me and took cards.one of them asked my rates i said i would prefer to price each job he said yea but how much say a day i said 100 he said that was a little much. thats it folks its a first for me but i need to pay bills and feed kids .

CONTACT YOUR LOCAL PAPER!............Tell them this story, like 'you have seen this guy all week' etc... Papers love these stories and you can be sure they will send a photographer down to take some pics, then they interview ya......FREE publicity, if yr lucky all you have to worry about in a few days time is sorting out the 'bstards' from the genuine enquiries. Good luck mate:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.