Thinking of site work...is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CeeVee

I'm from up north, (cheap as chips) so don't need to earn mega bucks, just a decent weekly wage. Is there still money in site work?

I haven't a cscs...are they easy to get? Do I get a 'red' one?

It's about 10 years since I did site work...Is there still a fist fight over who gets corridors?

Does EVERYONE spray?

Questions questions.
Is it worth it?

whats a site ?? are there any still left in the UK, ?if so would the last plasterer to work on one please turn the lights out when you have finished

Not sure on prices up north but prices in midlands are as low £1.75 per m2, i currently pay my lads £2 on knauf universal board finish and they range from 60 - 80 m2 per man a day so there earning £120-£160 per day, a fair wage for most. You will need a CSCS card and there not difficult to get, book your H&s touch screen test and pass it, and then apply for you card if you have qualifications in plastering (needs to be at least level 2) then send copys of them with your application and they will be shown on your card. if not you can get assed on site from an assessment/training company (goverment funding is available for this if you look about, usually costs bout £600)The red card is a trainee card which you can apply for while your doin your assessment/GNVQ to enable you to work on site.

hope this helps

Sounds good...as long as there's work out there!
Domestics doin my head in with sheeting up, cleaning up after etc. 9 times out of ten the customer wants it cleaner than when you turn up!

Just eager to get my head down and bang some walls on...but then aren't we all?

Im mainly site worker.your ok ifu get right site and contractor and be prepared to work for lower than domestic rates and work on top of other trades.oh and dont get me started on health and safety!

Its only right shite money up north.south has subsoddamized north fo long enuf!lol

You'll be asking for our northern water next with ya hosepipe bans and thats just to put in the beer for all you lagertop shandy drinkers.........:flapper:

Not sure on prices up north but prices in midlands are as low £1.75 per m2, i currently pay my lads £2 on knauf universal board finish and they range from 60 - 80 m2 per man a day so there earning £120-£160 per day, a fair wage for most. You will need a CSCS card and there not difficult to get, book your H&s touch screen test and pass it, and then apply for you card if you have qualifications in plastering (needs to be at least level 2) then send copys of them with your application and they will be shown on your card. if not you can get assed on site from an assessment/training company (goverment funding is available for this if you look about, usually costs bout £600)The red card is a trainee card which you can apply for while your doin your assessment/GNVQ to enable you to work on site.

hope this helps

Lol 2 pound per metre fair you **** you're as bad as the rest I hope you go under

hey up ceevee, im from near you. infact i recognise your name from another forum.

i do site work around yorks, notts & lincolnshire. best i'v had in a couple of years is £2.50 per m/2 skimming, worse i'v been offered was £1.80 i think. usually average about £100-£120 per day on site, but you do get the odd crap day. people still argue over the big walls.

i try and mix it up a little by doing site work in week and domestics on weekends. cscs is a must or they wont let you on site.

pm me your mob number if you want, i might be looking getting a few spreads and dryliners together within the next six months.

hope this helps,

Sounds good...as long as there's work out there!
Domestics doin my head in with sheeting up, cleaning up after etc. 9 times out of ten the customer wants it cleaner than when you turn up!

Just eager to get my head down and bang some walls on...but then aren't we all?

domestics every time. being good at cleaning up is very important ,every customer knows what a mess looks like. i know it is extra work pricing up work but you collect you payment the moment the job is finished.
builder contractors, i can only think of one worth doing business with. a major contractor who gives you a docket for boarding, one for skimming, one for screed, on each house. you just get the foreman to sign these dockets post them off and receive your payment by return.
plastering contractors complete waste of time. just trying to get in between you and your payment.
tidy you act up and stick with domestics and dont paddle some one elses canoe

Lol 2 pound per metre fair you **** you're as bad as the rest I hope you go under

im not saying its mega bucks,far from it i know but it pays the bills, rates are tight as **** round this neck of the woods as im sure they are everywhere else, but thats all i can afford to pay to stay competitive with other companys in order to win work. If i dont get jobs then i would go under and my lads would have no work which means No money at all for them, i can guarantee my lads at least 12 months work at the moment and i know they would rather earn £600-£800 every week rather than earning twice the amount but not knowing where the next jobs coming from? When rates improve and i can afford to pay more then i shall, untill then all i can do is whats necessarry to keep myself and the people who work with me in a job. But thanks for you kind comments as we all love hearing from you:)

Maybe who knows, im not forcing them to work for me.So what do you class as a fair wage? prices arn't what they used to be its just the way it is unfortunatley this countrys in the s**t, not a lot i can do about it.

150 a day daywork 3 quid skimming 6 quid float set 13 quid mono 13 quid sand cement 2 coat 2.25 tacking 3 quid dabbing 2 quid scratch coat those sort of rates will keep up with the expenditure of an average family

150 a day daywork 3 quid skimming 6 quid float set 13 quid mono 13 quid sand cement 2 coat 2.25 tacking 3 quid dabbing 2 quid scratch coat those sort of rates will keep up with the expenditure of an average family

our local rates 3.50 skimming, but only 10 quid mono so my son tells me on site work, subbing off plastering contractor, which is an unbalanced pricing favoring the skimmers

bang on but i would like to see 6.50 float and set :RpS_laugh:

So do you work on site at the moment and get paid those prices? I agree thats what prices should be... but sadly there not, i dont know of any firms paying those kind of prices, maybe about 5 years ago.

So do you work on site at the moment and get paid those prices? I agree thats what prices should be... but sadly there not, i dont know of any firms paying those kind of prices, maybe about 5 years ago.

been offered £4 per m today for skimming on site in herts

wouldnt matter if he did mate im a domestic man and im banged out with work at the mo:RpS_thumbup:

I am a girl plasterer and renderer and love site work, best thing I ever did was getting into External Rendering - good money, loads of work about! Based in North East

Well i hope you took up the offer malc and good luck to you if you can get those rates, is that labour only? im having to supply the skim on jobs for less than £4 per m2
it is labour only subbing off a honest essex plastering co. work a week in hand then weekly payments. i did not take up the offer to much travelling from suffolk.
my son is going to start there in two weeks but he does not the trip either. so this site will be up for grabs.

it is labour only subbing off a honest essex plastering co. work a week in hand then weekly payments. i did not take up the offer to much travelling from suffolk.
my son is going to start there in two weeks but he does not the trip either. so this site will be up for grabs.

week in hand then weekly payments is the norm aint it? rates have always been higher down south so ive heard, glad to hear some companys can afford to pay rates like that lets hope it spreads accross the whole country and rates get back to what they used to be. why dont you post details of the job on here if you dont want it im sure theres lads on here who wont have to travel as far who will be glad of the work and will bite there hand off at those prices

week in hand then weekly payments is the norm aint it? rates have always been higher down south so ive heard, glad to hear some companys can afford to pay rates like that lets hope it spreads accross the whole country and rates get back to what they used to be. why dont you post details of the job on here if you dont want it im sure theres lads on here who wont have to travel as far who will be glad of the work and will bite there hand off at those prices

how can i recommend people whos work i have never seen ?

i didnt mention you recommending anyone, you just mentioned a plastering company offered you the work,lads would contact the company them selves not you recommending them

Status
Not open for further replies.