Things that make you go hmmmmm

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

church

Doing a fair sized kitchen extension for a builder at the mo his normal spread which i know is to busy so i got the call , when i got there he pointed out all the low and high spots in the block work which he wants s&c rendered two coat work and set he also wants all the beads nailed ,the plasterboard ceilings floated and set 10mm minimum (bonding ) , anyway is this all a bit strange or is it me ? He does smoke the green fags by the way .

ps its all daywork

completely bananas mate ;D................if you can drag it out though and need it carry on monkey say monkey do ::)
...........................naaaaaaaaaaaaaah you cant ;D.........youve got a reputation

I think your only supposed to float to a maximum of 8mm on plasterboard ceilings, as for 2 coat work onto block work what a pain in the arris, but like you say if he's willing to pay more fool him.

if your on a m2 rate, stick one coat on the block and skim, he will never know. we used to do a lot of bonding on board.

8mm of bonding and jute scrim used to be norm on robust builds only way to guarantee a flat ceiling that would not crack, used to do a few like this

Fair play Paul , i just thought the guy was being a bit over the top but maybe not ???, in all honestly ive only ever floated new pre cast concreate ceilings and the odd lath one never pb.

Church, why does he want bonding on the ceiling if its new work the joists should be good enough and the ceiling flat enough, mind you as has been said if he is paying for it go for it .
Lucius

I think if you put a 2.5 feather edge on a lot of ceilings you would be suprised how far out they are, but if you're being paid to float them then it's up to you to get them spot on, not as easy as it sounds.

Think about it lad's , what happens to timber as it dries , and joiners always lay he timber one way arch up or down
this was one of the main reasons for bonding them out on high spec jobs, and the other was , no cracking along joints, you southerners have obviously not worked on a prober job before ;D ;D ;D and them thats worked in spain , well say no more , Ne habla englase senior , por favour :p :p

warriorupnorth said:
Think about it lad's , what happens to timber as it dries , and joiners always lay he timber one way arch up or down
this was one of the main reasons for bonding them out on high spec jobs, and the other was , no cracking along joints, you southerners have obviously not worked on a prober job before ;D ;D ;D and them thats worked in spain , well say no more , Ne habla englase senior , por favour :p :p

Now be fair Warrior I may be married to a Yorkie but I'm an Essex boy through and through and yet I've bond and set plenty of ceilings, not all southerners are rough w*nkers just most of them ;)

only time ive bonded out cielings is when joists are all over the place and on byson beams just do it if thats what he wants

did alot of bond and set ceilings about 1yr back,due mainly to there being alot of old fart architects about,and some of made you use hessian/jute scrim too.

Status
Not open for further replies.