thincoat

Status
Not open for further replies.

S a plastering

Private Member
going to try it soon is it ok over ocr and does it require meshing in the ocr when that is dry does this need priming then the thincoat finish also do you trowel the finish with a plastic float thanks

well madmonk just as well im online today as having a nice 10 day break in barbados waiting for materials to arrive... bummer i know.. but getting back to your question.

Thincoat goes great over ocr but the ocr has to be spot on as the thincoat is not very forgiving especially if you using a 1mm grit over it.

The ocr needs to be primed with the primer from the same manufacturer and also should be the same colour as the top coat.

I would only put mesh in the ocr if you notice any cracks in the blockwork

to finish thin coat you need a stainless steel trowel... you then put the finish on as tight as you can get it... (scrape it on and then scrape as much back off as possible) then use a thin flat plastic float and rub up in circular motion in the same direction each time... this will also take more material off... keep cleaning or scraping your float and you should have a luverly finish...

If you have a big area to do get another spread to follow you on the rubbing up...

back to the beach for me now....

its like the scene from karate kid, wax on wax off, but just imagine learning acrylics with render standing next to you saying scrape on scrape off.

10 day break ;D........if theres one job you want to leave ordering materilas till the last minute its in barbados you jammy fcucker ;D

when you spread it on you see madmonk there will generally be too much gear on the wall from your spreading so you need to take the excess off again so its a very tight coat. then plastic it and if you still find it heavy in parts you can still take off at this time with your plastic.
Just keep the plastic clean all the time as you rub the texture but dont get water from your plastic onto the wall.
Dont use a wash brush to clean of the plastic i use my steel trowel and shave off the excess from my plastic trowel

How do you rub up narrow widths? Do you just drag the trowel down them. Also rendy said use a SS trowel and jef said a placcy float to finish,?

can use both but i prefer using the plastic float as they are flatter and easier to scrape clean every couple of minutes

steel trowel to apply and the plastic is for rubbing the texture up (not a usual poly type float but a flat hard plastic thin float same handle as a trowel)

for narrow width still use circular motion
the plastic is always flat on the wall when rubbing up the texture

risking sounding like a freak.....but to understand the principle of thin-coat laying on you need to think of the size of grains in it(as in 1.5mm etc.) all being the same size. Think of these grains like snooker balls arranged in a frame. Each ball is closely packed in amongst the other balls(grains) but not one ball is sitting on top of any other. By laying on and then scraping off again to spread out the material as thinly as possible you are in effect trying to get all the grains side by side and not on top of each other. It's hard to explain but you quickly catch on to the texture required as you simply can't finish it properly when it's thicker than one grain high. Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.