Thin coat

sammoseley

Hi, got to do a very thin coat on a blockwork wall as there's a loft hatch which is too close to the wall and basically fouls the wall when it opens, was planning on just doing a tight coat of bonding like 5mm (can't even dab a 9mm board as that's too thick) just wondered if anyone's got any other ideas as I'm not confident it won't crack. Total thickness needs to be about 7mm I think
Cheers
Sam

Hi, got to do a very thin coat on a blockwork wall as there's a loft hatch which is too close to the wall and basically fouls the wall when it opens, was planning on just doing a tight coat of bonding like 5mm (can't even dab a 9mm board as that's too thick) just wondered if anyone's got any other ideas as I'm not confident it won't crack. Total thickness needs to be about 7mm I think
Cheers
Sam
I have done it thin on block work with no issues.

Cheers for the replies, yes you'd have thought moving the hatch is the way to go but long story and basically nowhere else it can go it's one of those big wooden ladder jobbies and now it's in its in ;)
I'll go with a nice thin coat of bonding I reckon
Cheers:D
Sam

How thin could you go doing it that way beader? Literally just covering the eml with the pattern still showing then skim it?

Cheers never used one-coat as heard it doesn't trowel up nice like board/multi but could give it a go :rolleyes: any tips for getting a good finish with it, think I remember being told you have to sponge it and trowel the fat but I may have just made that up

Cheers never used one-coat as heard it doesn't trowel up nice like board/multi but could give it a go :rolleyes: any tips for getting a good finish with it, think I remember being told you have to sponge it and trowel the fat but I may have just made that up

lay it on rule it off , sponge then trowel up. you will never be able to float a block wall in bonding.

Why can't you float a block wall with bonding?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

bonding is for very low suction backgrounds. ie concrete.
hardwall is for blockwork but it does need a thickness about 10mm. plus 2mm for skimcoat. the op is looking for a finish not more then 7mm.