Thermalite problem

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tdj

Hi guys , just been sent to repair a load of walls inside house . Their all cracked and hollow . Hacked them off with hammer and bolster easily ! Looks like they have used browning as a scratch coat then skim to finish . Properties a council house . The walls are a mixture of Thermalite blocks and bricks . Just wondering should I sbr the walls apply sand and cement at 6-1 whilst tacky , then do the screed coat following day at 7-1 ? Or is that too weak ?? Some of the walls are complete Thermalite but mostly half brick half Thermalite ? Any help would be appreciated ,as never gone over Thermalite before

Ok cheers and even 6-1 over the old red house bricks and block? It's a mixture of everything built in one haha ! And then a top coat screeded at 6-1 as well ?

I am taking it that this is interior? Prime with sbr or PVa then after drying apply a tack coat and then a scratch coat.

I am taking it that this is interior? Prime with sbr or PVa then after drying apply a tack coat and then a scratch coat.
what do you mean by tack coat?

never mind figured it out :RpS_blushing:

Last edited:
when i see a mixture of red bricks and blocks i would dot and dab and skim. to many different suctions when you skim.

@Tdj what thickness do you need to achieve? If it's just a standard 13mm then if the blocks/bricks aren't too dusty I'd just drop some screeds and infill in one coat (11mm approx), if the blocks/bricks are dusty I'd dampen them down just prior to starting each wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
what would you do john?
Dot and dab is a decent option , hardwall as superspread said ,maybe blue grit them first, sand and cement after a scud, monolithic coat at 6/1/1 sand cement lime, bit of waterproofer in it, depends on area etc.

i tink dot and dab is best option but im guessing hes all ready got his hart set on s/c
never used lime or waterproofer indoors and never needed to scud

Just scudded an external 1930s house in chiswick, sbr to water 3/1 mixed with sand three to cement three, messy stuff, windows covered firstly but hard to cover down pipes etc,
it gives a great grip though for the scratch

Yes standard thickness andy . Some of the blocks are cracked so I will tack the cracks with mesh first . Thanks to every one for their input . So basically all I do is put my batons up , sbr, apply 6-1 scratch coat whilst tacky , then another coat , screed it flat , then Job done ? :)

The manager in work won't let us dot and dab anything he reckons it only causes problems on these shitty council houses

Yes standard thickness andy . Some of the blocks are cracked so I will tack the cracks with mesh first . Thanks to every one for their input . So basically all I do is put my batons up , sbr, apply 6-1 scratch coat whilst tacky , then another coat , screed it flat , then Job done ? :)

you are making hard work of this project. the answer go and employ a plasterer.

Hi guys , just been sent to repair a load of walls inside house . Their all cracked and hollow . Hacked them off with hammer and bolster easily ! Looks like they have used browning as a scratch coat then skim to finish . Properties a council house . The walls are a mixture of Thermalite blocks and bricks . Just wondering should I sbr the walls apply sand and cement at 6-1 whilst tacky , then do the screed coat following day at 7-1 ? Or is that too weak ?? Some of the walls are complete Thermalite but mostly half brick half Thermalite ? Any help would be appreciated ,as never gone over Thermalite before

Give the walls a drink, then bang a tight coat of Hardwall on the lot, scratch it, follow it with a second pass of Hardwall, skim it in the afternoon. If there's too much for one day just follow that process for what you can manage per day. Don't be scared to keep it damp for a few days :RpS_thumbup:

What are the 'batons' for @Tdj?

Last edited by a moderator:
The manager in work won't let us dot and dab anything he reckons it only causes problems on these shitty council houses

this is how most building work is carried out, get the biggest idiot that you find and put him in charge!

Just scudded an external 1930s house in chiswick, sbr to water 3/1 mixed with sand three to cement three, messy stuff, windows covered firstly but hard to cover down pipes etc,
it gives a great grip though for the scratch
Buy some temporary down pipe slit down middle and wrap them

Status
Not open for further replies.