There is always first time!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

vfr12

MOTORC*NT
Don't know really where to start, but I guess from the beginning:rolleyes)
Quoted a job to replace K rend with silicone finish. When I spoke to the customer I have been told the render is 3 years old and is falling apart :-0. Couldn't believe it until I saw it- the corners were wide open and cracks all over the render. Close inspection reviled the bricks turned into soft texture and crumbling down.At the moment I thought is the moisture and etc that causes the problem. My plan was to knock off the k rend and apply base coat and top coat until I started.
Patches with the size of football were coming very easy off, but the problem was the k rend was coming with the sc off. Behind the sc scratch coat I saw something that shocked me - hard wall! Then, when it come to knock off the corners, the same think- hard wall. OMG was my first reaction,but judging by the execution of the job I can tell for sure was someone who knows his game. Hard wall was used on the walls to fill the big gaps and for bedding. I can't say I know everything , but never used hard wall on external jobs or mixing it with non lime based products .Wondering now what is the trick here? Maybe some of you guys with more knowledge on here can explain it?

sounds like they were trying to save on mono by using it up,if it was s&c they used as a cheap filler and to stick the beads you could understand but an internal gypsum based plaster.surely they saw this coming. :RpS_confused:

In 1974 I had to go with my boss to a job we subbed out in Birmingham. It was a refit done by a shop fitter client of ours and involved sand and cement on expanded metal lathing with a tyrolean finish. It had blown the first winter.

The local brummy spreads we had subbed to had scratched it on with Carlite Bonding then floated up with sand and cement. Being the distance involved by Landrover (120 miles each way) we hacked off the loose, swept up and subbed it out again but the second time we had it done right.

I thought the same,but when I saw the render- perfect / flat,level/ everything was ok.For me is just beyond believe how the hard wall can desintegrate under the render.
As a London spread also I welcome you, hardwall is like a sponge, lots of fools used bonding in the 80s for reveals etc. we just came across 20mm of bonding over paper and distemper in a nw1 job today ,peeled off just lovely

As a London spread also I welcome you, hardwall is like a sponge, lots of fools used bonding in the 80s for reveals etc. we just came across 20mm of bonding over paper and distemper in a nw1 job today ,peeled off just lovely

Really how on earth did that stay there? I had a few spots of peeling paint on my overskim today so they got lucky with that.

Iknow it was a trick years ago to mix s&c with a bit og bonding to stick beads on rendering if needed speed :) , but that is taking the pish..........

I live in East london, see it regularly. House up the road has bond and skim external reveals, shop that had external walls bonded before tiling. Another house in road next to me has front tiled in bathroom tiles. I asked him was he going to wallpaper the roof ???Asians and Polish . Can post pics, hilarious :RpS_laugh:

NEVER use bonding compound to stick render beads up.ive used to know someone that done that and within a year they had green mould patchies were every dab was

I've had a few jobs where blokes have stuck beads with multi dry wall bonding. All the beads rust out quickly. Naughty boys. There's an area in Peterborough where you usually see Asians telling Eastern Europeans how to do building work. Well he's only gone and skimmed his garden wall!!! It's fooked already Il take a pic next time I'm passing.

Once I get my pc back, it went tits up and I guess new one is needed :RpS_cursing: I will post some pics, just in case someone on here is still using bonding or hardball on external jobs to see what happens and think twice next time before use it. For me personally is a no no , but then again I am not that good to take any chances :rolleyes)

Status
Not open for further replies.