The weather

Members online

lewissr

how much does the weather effect you during a year regarding lost days and money?

I started to concentrate mostly on rendering and Ewi during 2015 but if I could add up the days I've lost due to rain ect and the mornings I have had to pay lads to just stand around, then I might as well of just kept to doing inside work.

Anybody else find they are losing money on external work.

It is a struggle for sure
I do internal and outside and have 2 gangs so that way there is always a income coming in
Having 4/5 rendering jobs on at the same time is also a nightmare to handle

You definitely need more money sat in the bank for outside work. More money in materials, lads wages and weather delays can cause cash flow problems for sure. More so if you're running multiple jobs. Like I've said before I don't know how the permanent render lads do it.

how much does the weather effect you during a year regarding lost days and money?

I started to concentrate mostly on rendering and Ewi during 2015 but if I could add up the days I've lost due to rain ect and the mornings I have had to pay lads to just stand around, then I might as well of just kept to doing inside work.

Anybody else find they are losing money on external work.
Yes mate ,you just stick to the inside work !lol

depends on how much work you have ,most times we can prep out jobs if the weather is bad ,but to be fair we are lucky in the southeast ,unlike our Northern friends
To true Keith
Although I'm in the southwest and it rains loads compared to the southeast
It's looking decent next week though mate(y)

on large contracts the scaffold will have a temp. roof on it and netting protection on the walls. you do not know what the weather is till you come off the scaffold.
on small works you need internal work as well as the external, my eldest sons gang have now stopped externals on housing contracts as they can earn better money on the internals. the easterns are doing a decent job on externals but they are hopeless on the internals.

Deep pockets for cash flow , plenty of projects on the go, plenty of lads on the go. I don't know how one man bands manage on outsides.

on large contracts the scaffold will have a temp. roof on it and netting protection on the walls. you do not know what the weather is till you come off the scaffold.
on small works you need internal work as well as the external, my eldest sons gang have now stopped externals on housing contracts as they can earn better money on the internals. the easterns are doing a decent job on externals but they are hopeless on the internals.
Really?
Rarely do the scaffolds I work on are covered!!

large contracts, not house bashing.
I usually get my scaffolder to sheet the top and sides sept onwards,up till then I always carry a few large tarps,bungees in case it comes down hard,but to be honest its usually only the top deck roof that needs sheeting.as it rarely comes in sideways,worth paying a little extra cos I think if you wait for the weatheryou could be waiting forever,considering how we seem to be getting wetter winters now.Got caught once on a tyrolean job,all finished,torrential downpour for half hour,washed the flukin lot off,had to go back next day clear up and re-do,what a sickener.I watch the met office online 5 day forcast daily,they are rarely wrong

I usually get my scaffolder to sheet the top and sides sept onwards,up till then I always carry a few large tarps,bungees in case it comes down hard,but to be honest its usually only the top deck roof that needs sheeting.as it rarely comes in sideways,worth paying a little extra cos I think if you wait for the weatheryou could be waiting forever,considering how we seem to be getting wetter winters now.Got caught once on a tyrolean job,all finished,torrential downpour for half hour,washed the flukin lot off,had to go back next day clear up and re-do,what a sickener.I watch the met office online 5 day forcast daily,they are rarely wrong

you do need side cover on high rise blocks as the material can carry in the wind and you could be covering a car parked a short distance away, you may think the car has been dumped, the owner will want a respray!

I have had the best winter for many years. Wet April though.

I bank on 10 months income a year. Spend wisely and save for a rainy day.

By the time Christmas comes I am ready for a long rest. Cold, wet short days and a disgruntled gang.