the ultimate sin

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyg

today i plastered over wallpaper had no option i originally quoted for the job of taking wallpaper of but when i started steaming the wall i noticed the wall behind the paper was drylined they had painted over the wallpaper which helped seal the wall the paper underneath the paint wasn't going to come of easy and would of taken the protective lining of the boards anyway i put 1/1 pva with a bit of sand in and skimmed with multi has anyone else had to do this its my first time ive ever comprimised a job
but the finish was excellent but wouldnt do it again will never say ill take wallpaper of again

steve cov said:
get out. and turn the lights off before you leave. cowboy.
so what would you have done it was either take paper of and all the backing and be left with paper or plaster over the paint on the paper either way it was a botch job

best thing to do mate is tell the customer that it is an unforeseen extra, just say look i have found the paper is straight onto plasterboard and it is ruining the board so i can either screw new boards over the top of these ones or i can strip the paper as gently as possible and make repairs to the boards were needed, tell them how much extra it will cost so that you are not out of pocket. explain that are not prepared to do them a bad job as you REPUTATION is at stake, and see what they say. 9 out of 10 they will understand and pay up but if they dont walk away. that way you might not get any cash but you get to keep your name. reputation is everything get a bad one and you can kiss your plastering career goodbye ;)

kirk johnstone said:
best thing to do mate is tell the customer that it is an unforeseen extra, just say look i have found the paper is straight onto plasterboard and it is ruining the board so i can either screw new boards over the top of these ones or i can strip the paper as gently as possible and make repairs to the boards were needed, tell them how much extra it will cost so that you are not out of pocket. explain that are not prepared to do them a bad job as you REPUTATION is at stake, and see what they say. 9 out of 10 they will understand and pay up but if they dont walk away. that way you might not get any cash but you get to keep your name. reputation is everything get a bad one and you can kiss your plastering career goodbye ;)

thats what i would do. either do it properly or don't do it.

steve cov said:
kirk johnstone said:

thats what i would do. either do it properly or don't do it.
i tried that they were not prepared to pay extra i did explain to them but they all ready knocked me down in price
from my original quote what can i say they were of asian decent

then walk away, if something goes wrong you can garauantee they will blame you. your reputation is more important than 1 wall with wallpaper on.

kirk johnstone said:

Please please stop making me agree with you Kirk I'VE got MY reputation to think of.

wow wow wow just hang on a minute there mate! dont you ever EVER fakin let anyone chip you down, you run a business! next time you go shopping you see if you can chip asda down. should have walked away mate ;)

kirk johnstone said:
wow wow wow just hang on a minute there mate! dont you ever EVER fakin let anyone chip you down, you run a business! next time you go shopping you see if you can chip asda down. should have walked away mate ;)
wish i could of mate but aren't in a position to do that at moment takeing anything just to survive

so you do a job wrong and risk getting no more work. rather than doing the job right and getting more work OR saying no to doing it wrong and not being known as a cowboy.

fair play mate i can see were you are coming from, as the saying goes... a man who has never made a mistake, has never made anything at all! just learn from it mate and dont do it again it aint worth it ;)

steve cov said:
so you do a job wrong and risk getting no more work. rather than doing the job right and getting more work OR saying no to doing it wrong and not being known as a cowboy.
the job is sound mate if it didnt work i would of just stripped walls back but the paint was on so thick it acted as a great barrier so water didnt penetrate wall paper and the wall paper wasnt coming of easily

hardwall king said:
would let my mate skim over wallpaper in my house kirk i will be 80 at least before it comes off.

are you a real plasterer or a second hand car dealer? listen mate this is bade practice. its not good for your rep and it certainly aint good for the customer. i wouldn't try too argue this point mate it wont go down well

jonnyg said:
steve cov said:
the job is sound mate if it didnt work i would of just stripped walls back but the paint was on so thick it acted as a great barrier so water didnt penetrate wall paper and the wall paper wasnt coming of easily

knobhead

It works, FFS!!. Yes it's wrong, If there is loads of paint on it as he said, it does seal it. I like to think of woodchip, as a key :D :D

steve cov said:
it works for now...
Did one about 15 years ago, and still on there, mates house, told him to remove paper, did he feck, so told him might not work and could come away.................can't believe it's still on !!

Status
Not open for further replies.