The trade needs more apprentices

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was always lead to believe that City & Guilds are a world wide accepted qualification ?

I don't think they get a C&G anymore its NVQ but i might be wrong also in Australia you need to have served an indentured apprenticeship, they have their own quals which you can get assessed for but its not as simple as getting assessed for you level 2.

tutors dont have any experience?, well between me and my colleagues we have over 100 years of work experience , and we can teach any part of the trade for cutting a plaster board to making a fluted column, can you?

im not saying every tutor but the sorry state of affairs ive come across in the past and recently takes the p*ss i mean lads turning up on site and skimming all the walls in a house and leaving ceilings because they had not done them at college ,i was on a job in tipton a few years back and one lad was dabbing a stairwell he put all his dabs on before even cutting a board next time i looked he had the floor scraper on it all the dab had gone off on him looked like a fekin avalanche down the stairs he was from college aswell as for fluted columns and things like that i think students should be learned how to do the above properly first and with speed your never going to be able to give them speed in college as it only comes with being on the job .have you taught them how to metal lath and render ceilings for wet areas have you shown them how to use blackjack for refurb work limelite thermal board and how to fix them properly i could go on i have never come across any job that wanted a fluted column but plenty that need skimming to a decent standard which the majority of these kids cant do also what ps me off is colleges give them false hope yeah once you can skim two plasterboards the worlds your oyster you will earn x amount of pounds in reality they get a job on site and struggle to do anything bigger than a bathroom ive seen it first hand buddy

im not saying every tutor but the sorry state of affairs ive come across in the past and recently takes the p*ss i mean lads turning up on site and skimming all the walls in a house and leaving ceilings because they had not done them at college ,i was on a job in tipton a few years back and one lad was dabbing a stairwell he put all his dabs on before even cutting a board next time i looked he had the floor scraper on it all the dab had gone off on him looked like a fekin avalanche down the stairs he was from college aswell as for fluted columns and things like that i think students should be learned how to do the above properly first and with speed your never going to be able to give them speed in college as it only comes with being on the job .have you taught them how to metal lath and render ceilings for wet areas have you shown them how to use blackjack for refurb work limelite thermal board and how to fix them properly i could go on i have never come across any job that wanted a fluted column but plenty that need skimming to a decent standard which the majority of these kids cant do also what ps me off is colleges give them false hope yeah once you can skim two plasterboards the worlds your oyster you will earn x amount of pounds in reality they get a job on site and struggle to do anything bigger than a bathroom ive seen it first hand buddy

i think you are getting mixed up with short courses and training centres that are not really colleges, my last lad i had at college learnt fuckall but found out later he was hardly in lol

thats what im on about im not knocking anyone who goes and learns it for 2-3 years at college then labours for a few to someone fair play but the majority a short courses as we well know

Hi in-order for an apprentice to complete his frame work , he has to achieve a diploma and a NVQ basically the diploma is theory and practical and it is the c&g , the NVQ is work based and involves assessments . So in answer to the c&g anymore, the answer is yes they get both C&G diploma and the C skills NVQ

The trade needs a break, to many guys at it at the moment.

Semi skilled guys coming into the trade will be disappointed

Highly skilled guys, even more so.

Why did you write this yesterday then?

Not quite sure what a scud coat is , but we always apply a stipple coat of 2-1 with 50,% pva on to the concrete wall dabbed on with a stiff hand brush , leave for at least 24 hrs damped down then apply a scratch coat of 4 - 1

I would love to take on an apprentice but would be heartbroken if in 6 months time I had to say to him/her "sorry pal theres no work I'm going to have to let you go"

That's because those that can, do it! and those that cant, teach it!.

Ah but sometimes just sometimes those who CAN get p.issed off with doing it day in day out for a crust and teaching in terms of physical effort is a much better payer than doing :RpS_thumbup:

How many hundreds of students have you taught to use PVA externally?

On its own is a no no but the way books has advised to use it is the way its always been done till you young guys where spoiled with all the fancy names and products they have now. What the **** do you think was used before your betokontacts and sbrs where invented?

Just because it wasn't invented/widely used 30 years ago doesn't mean that it shouldn't be used today. What's your point?

Just because it wasn't invented/widely used 30 years ago doesn't mean that it shouldn't be used today. What's your point?

Im not saying dont use the new stuff if your happy paying over the odds for something that you might already have in your van or is easily available at the builders yard for a lot less then carry on. My point is it was available 30 years ago and can be used today and its the way books described it which you sounded shocked about, whats your point?

Im not saying dont use the new stuff if your happy paying over the odds for something that you might already have in your van or is easily available at the builders yard for a lot less then carry on. My point is it was available 30 years ago and can be used today and its the way books described it which you sounded shocked about, whats your point?

So you advocate using PVA externally?

My point was that books said that he learnt in the eightys not to use PVA externally but had stated a few days ago that he does. I thought that was very clear but obviously not to all...:rolleyes)

His point was he said he doesn't use it because it doesn't work and Danny pointed out he has posted that he has used it thus contradicting himself, thought you might have worked that one out yourself flynny
Danny simply stated that you're old fashioned and maybe not.up to date with modern materials in a polite way, you're retort was I agree Danny I also use pva outside and asking Danny whats his point when he didn't really make one it was more of a question

His point was he said he doesn't use it because it doesn't work and Danny pointed out he has posted that he has used it thus contradicting himself, thought you might have worked that one out yourself flynny
Danny simply stated that you're old fashioned and maybe not.up to date with modern materials in a polite way, you're retort was I agree Danny I also use pva outside and asking Danny whats his point when he didn't really make one it was more of a question

Very beautifully written but i didnt understand a word of it :) My retort wasnt i also use PVA outside, it was what books describes in his post he was quoted on which i said was ok. what seems to be happened here is some people are only reading in the thread "50% PVA" they are missing the important bit which is the 2-1 before it i hope this also answers dannys post aswell.

Haha you've just added to the confusion. I read his scud as 2 sand:1 cement mixed with a solution of PVA and water at a ratio of 1:1.

Is that how you do it Flynny?

I hope your plastering is better than your English, you thick sloppy ****

I understood what Spunky said perfectly, have I entered a parallel ******* universe here? Has everyone lost the ability to read and understand simple sentences?

Would you prime a wall with PVA before rendering too flynny?

I understood what Spunky said perfectly, have I entered a parallel ******* universe here? Has everyone lost the ability to read and understand simple sentences?

Would you prime a wall with PVA before rendering too flynny?

Danny Danny Danny you have had nearly 24 hours to think about something to say and this is it? Come on young crunch weve already covered this ground your grasping at straws, once PVA is mixed with sand and cement it no longer becomes PVA on its own the same as if you mix cement with gypsum it becomes something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.