The sad, but true future of modern rendering

Status
Not open for further replies.

user_removed

It is becoming fairly common these days for me to receive calls regarding bad rendering, performed by someone who doesn't know, or hasn't took the time to learn how to use these modern renders we now see.

With 100s of bags of k-rend, parex and weber all available readily within a 2/3 mile radius of where I'm sat, to any Tom dick or Harry, is there any wonder.

I'm all for products being readily available, but these companies and merchants will sell to anyone.

I had some details passed onto me from a rep regarding a job I may be interested in, so after recieving details of this customer I gave him a call, we spoke about the job he wanted doing which was to hack off 10mm of weber pral m that was a month old and re-render.

This is becoming more and more common, I'm not claiming to be the worlds best, not even the best in my region, I still make mistakes, have the odd bump, miss and halo in my work, nothing major, nothing the customer can see, but how I see some jobs that just make me shudder, what I do know is how to use the products I'm using, something that a lot of work I see suggests others don't.

I've only spoken to 1 rep who mentioned they cared about who they sold their products too, "we don't want to sell it just to anyone" which was nice to hear.

Anyway back to this job, I visited the guy to view the work, fook me, the worst, the fooking worst I've seen, top of a house side and back possibly about 30/40m2, the only thing that was correct about the job was he'd managed to apply it to the correct address and area, the rest, well, fooking disgusting is an understatement.

I'll put picture up after I finish writing due to images being on my phone.

Beading, what beading, none existent, mesh, no mesh, any primer or base coat, I'd hazard a good guess at probably fooking not.

The chap who owned the property, recently purchased, must have sunk 50k into an extension, new kitchen etc etc, decided to "sort the materials out" only he didn't have the knowledge to by 'all the materials'

The rendering was paid for due to the guy being away and not being able to check the work properly, only when he returned he saw it didn't look right, so got a weber rep out, the rep advised him it had been scratched too early and questioned the beading, or rather lack of them.

The 'renderer' had his cash and had gone.

I can understand manufacturers wanting their products out there, but will there ever be any control over who they sell too, or is it just sell as much as we can.

Are we going down the same route as plastering, where some jack of all, in a Ford Fiesta is outside a merchants filling up with said renders, the difference being a wall can be re-skimmed for very little cost, a bad panel of render can cost thousands, when you factor in extra materials, hacking off, labour and scaffold if needed.

Are we going to see any regulation in who these products are sold too?

The customer and the renderer who did said job deserve all they get, apart from the renderer being paid but I'm sure his reputation will be tarnished by such a beaut of a job which he left.

I see so many poor jobs now, hear of daft prices being charged, I think in 10 years the rendering industry will be on par with plastering, dogshit.

Get as much as you can while it's good, because it's not going to stay this way for long

image.jpg
image.jpg

Jesus that work is total dogshit !!?? Its scary that this kind of thing goes on and people get away with it too !?

I didn't get he job btw, which I'm not fussed about.

Customer was haggling for me to go over that but I said no, it needs to come off and be re-done.

He wants k-rend over the top and I told him k-rend wouldn't like that, his face had a puzzled look on it so I said, imagine walking into asda with a tesco bag, he got it then, lol.

I mention a rough guesstimate and he wasn't liking what I'd said, never even text me his email address.

b*ll***s to him @mac_plastering just tell him that your house looks fine unlike his (y) at the end of the day dont bother wasting your time and energy on people like that. False economy hes paid to have it done once now needs to pay again to have it re done!? :envidioso

He was also haggling for me to spray stood on that roof, no scaffolding.
What a dickhead some jobs your just better off walking away mate. Some customers need a slap with the stupid shite they come out with!! I had one potential customer annoy me within the first few minutes of being in their house so i just said i need my book to jot this lot down. Went to my van and f**k*d off

@Marshy I don't give a fook now mate to be honest.

I'll keep working until while it's coming in and people will pay a decent price, when that changes I'll sell up.

I care about my own work and my own business, I do not however care for the trade anymore, why should I, customers don't, merchants don't, manufacturers don't, it's all about saving money and lining your own pockets, be it customers haggling, merchants selling products they know nothing about or manufacturers fighting to flood the market and pull in the cash.

Whole job
looks garbage ,!

You will never stop who can buy & install bagged renders ...

Same as Anyone is allowed to risk persons life's All is needed is to a trip to wickes .For cable & installing sockets ect with little or no experience

I know the odd jobbers shouldn't be leaving render like that or even attempting it but when the customer is being like that I'm afraid that's what he'll end up with,he's already decided not to go with one plasterer,how many more will he go through before he contracts another bodger?by the sounds of it he's going to be no better off.

It is becoming fairly common these days for me to receive calls regarding bad rendering, performed by someone who doesn't know, or hasn't took the time to learn how to use these modern renders we now see.

With 100s of bags of k-rend, parex and weber all available readily within a 2/3 mile radius of where I'm sat, to any Tom dick or Harry, is there any wonder.

I'm all for products being readily available, but these companies and merchants will sell to anyone.

I had some details passed onto me from a rep regarding a job I may be interested in, so after recieving details of this customer I gave him a call, we spoke about the job he wanted doing which was to hack off 10mm of weber pral m that was a month old and re-render.

This is becoming more and more common, I'm not claiming to be the worlds best, not even the best in my region, I still make mistakes, have the odd bump, miss and halo in my work, nothing major, nothing the customer can see, but how I see some jobs that just make me shudder, what I do know is how to use the products I'm using, something that a lot of work I see suggests others don't.

I've only spoken to 1 rep who mentioned they cared about who they sold their products too, "we don't want to sell it just to anyone" which was nice to hear.

Anyway back to this job, I visited the guy to view the work, fook me, the worst, the fooking worst I've seen, top of a house side and back possibly about 30/40m2, the only thing that was correct about the job was he'd managed to apply it to the correct address and area, the rest, well, fooking disgusting is an understatement.

I'll put picture up after I finish writing due to images being on my phone.

Beading, what beading, none existent, mesh, no mesh, any primer or base coat, I'd hazard a good guess at probably fooking not.

The chap who owned the property, recently purchased, must have sunk 50k into an extension, new kitchen etc etc, decided to "sort the materials out" only he didn't have the knowledge to by 'all the materials'

The rendering was paid for due to the guy being away and not being able to check the work properly, only when he returned he saw it didn't look right, so got a weber rep out, the rep advised him it had been scratched too early and questioned the beading, or rather lack of them.

The 'renderer' had his cash and had gone.

I can understand manufacturers wanting their products out there, but will there ever be any control over who they sell too, or is it just sell as much as we can.

Are we going down the same route as plastering, where some jack of all, in a Ford Fiesta is outside a merchants filling up with said renders, the difference being a wall can be re-skimmed for very little cost, a bad panel of render can cost thousands, when you factor in extra materials, hacking off, labour and scaffold if needed.

Are we going to see any regulation in who these products are sold too?

The customer and the renderer who did said job deserve all they get, apart from the renderer being paid but I'm sure his reputation will be tarnished by such a beaut of a job which he left.

I see so many poor jobs now, hear of daft prices being charged, I think in 10 years the rendering industry will be on par with plastering, dogshit.

Get as much as you can while it's good, because it's not going to stay this way for long

nothing new about lads botching 'modern' renders, ive been replacing botched jobs since the late 90's.
as long as fellas are tackling jobs that are out of there remit, theres work for us. you cant account for idiot customers that want cheap jobs doing they deserve what they get, but its baffling when they want a cheap job doing yet they've got a 50 grand motor on the drive or a 4 grand tv, yet there scrimping on a render that will be the first thing you see when you enter there house, and will add value to there house.
as regards supply of renders, that's the way of the world I guess, more profit for the manufacterers, the other way of looking at it, is a joiner can buy any sort of wood doesn't make any difference you still get bad joiners using Maple or Oak.
You've got to be a salesman and sell your self, and aim higher than drips that want cheap cash jobs.

I have met 000's of time wasters Chris over the years. Like I have mentioned before the 20. 30 year olds are a waste of time. They are cash strapped as I was at their age. I don't waste too much time with them.

As Owls said it is knowing how to sell to your target customers. I expect to win one in six jobs amd for those needing to gamble on the £'s let them.

But I have noticed now how plasterers are coming into the rendering market. It is becoming tougher out there. Mono being the render they tend to sell. I stopped caring a long time ago. One side of me is saying buy a jetset pro and the other is saying stop spending it's time to chuck the towel in.

I've been applying these bagged renders for quite a few years now and have always been into sand /lime /cement previously. But as times change and customers become more material savvy we must change with the times or lose out to said people ( see photo) !!
But, I have to say, I think these bagged products will see a demise, at the moment there the Kings new clothes .
There more time consuming if your hand applying, you can only mix a few bags at a time.
You have to apply the fibre mesh , more time.
The scratching back can be anything from a few hours to overnight, if the weather suddenly changes midway your going to get shade changes.
If you accidentally mark or damage the finish at scratching back stage then this cannot be fixed, I've had a scaffolder scrape a wall and it all had to be re-done, believe me I tried to make it good.
If you scratch back at different times of day and temperature changes you can get shading issues.
You can get scaffold shadows.
It has to be bang on ruled in and scratched back with the I bar or you will see every pit mark once the sun hits it at that certain revealing time of day.
If you miss scratching back areas you leave unsightly white spots or salt marks.
It doesn't like joins to drying edges.
God help you if you do see a halo mark coz that will ruin the whole wall.
It has to be sealed or you will see dirt and algae building up in just a few years.
Other than that it's a great product, I've sprayed it and it's lovely, but for me I'll be selling my customers onto traditional renders or if they want to keep up with the Jones's 'acrylic ' which in my opinion is a far superior product.
Just my opinion though chaps
Thanks

Must admit i keep away from rendering jobs. Was taught s&c and have never used modern renders and dont want to either. I only do domestic plastering and tiling and that has kept me in work for years. Leave modern renderering to those who have the experience and the equiptment to do it.

First mistake Malc was ringing the customer, the rep should have given him your number.
It's the mindset from the off of who needs who, and which one of you is doing the other a 'favour'
Never be the first to ring a customer is one of my mottos.

Whole job
looks garbage ,!

You will never stop who can buy & install bagged renders ...

Same as Anyone is allowed to risk persons life's All is needed is to a trip to wickes .For cable & installing sockets ect with little or no experience
was gonna say the same , all the work looks pony, the t**t got what he deserves, obviously wanted the work doing for peanuts , if people dont do their homework or pay for a good job this is what they are gonna get, ive seen worse, pleanty of rough coonts out there

I agree with most if not all comments, I'm not fussed he would have had to wait til October anyway, I just thought it would be interesting to get your opinions on plasterers trying out these new render systems.

With the look on his face when I gave him a rough estimate, he wants to go cheap again.

I've been applying these bagged renders for quite a few years now and have always been into sand /lime /cement previously. But as times change and customers become more material savvy we must change with the times or lose out to said people ( see photo) !!
But, I have to say, I think these bagged products will see a demise, at the moment there the Kings new clothes .
There more time consuming if your hand applying, you can only mix a few bags at a time.
You have to apply the fibre mesh , more time.
The scratching back can be anything from a few hours to overnight, if the weather suddenly changes midway your going to get shade changes.
If you accidentally mark or damage the finish at scratching back stage then this cannot be fixed, I've had a scaffolder scrape a wall and it all had to be re-done, believe me I tried to make it good.
If you scratch back at different times of day and temperature changes you can get shading issues.
You can get scaffold shadows.
It has to be bang on ruled in and scratched back with the I bar or you will see every pit mark once the sun hits it at that certain revealing time of day.
If you miss scratching back areas you leave unsightly white spots or salt marks.
It doesn't like joins to drying edges.
God help you if you do see a halo mark coz that will ruin the whole wall.
It has to be sealed or you will see dirt and algae building up in just a few years.
Other than that it's a great product, I've sprayed it and it's lovely, but for me I'll be selling my customers onto traditional renders or if they want to keep up with the Jones's 'acrylic ' which in my opinion is a far superior product.
Just my opinion though chaps
Thanks

That's why you charge accordingly, due to the above list of factors that can go wrong.If it was a doddle to get right every chump would be doing it.

No half ways with render if it goes belly up, your replacing at your expense.

I have looked at others bad work and it is the usual case of paid cash no receipt. You can't sue if there is no proof.

But more fool the punters for falling for that old trick.

Their are rules if you like with the scratch renders stick to them and should be ok the only one thing you can't predict is the weather. We don't drop our price it's a set rate which isn't cheap but will get the job you pay for.
Pay peanuts and get monkeys

Fixing foam spewed out under window nobody bothered trim it off , leadwork applied with claw hammer and some nice white painters caulk ? Bathroom sealant ? Or at best window sealant prob nicked off the other monkey who was putting the windows in with his overexcitable foam gun .
By the looks of things all done by the same crowd .:guitarra::cachetada::hueco::maraca::birras::tanguero::pcmala::burlas:

The customer bought the pral m, but not the rest of the stuff needed.

The guy who did it hacked off and went through the lead flashing with his little sds drill, didn't bead and the used bathroom sealant as a.plasterer said.

The result was water pissing through after a few days or weeks straight into his garage.

Oh well, I thought you'd like to see the pics, good luck to the guy.

Regarding the title of this thread, I think this will be more and more common due to how easy these products are available.

The job we just finished the customer wanted the left over 23 bags of cream because her friend is doing it to his house, I sent it back to SI, but he will try so no doubt it will be another job to visit in a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.