The rising damp myth

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is rising damp the most common thing in the damp game but so called scientists and a scholars have to delve and dig to the core of the subject and dig some more then twist words and findings but still can't find it? If it was so common as we are lead to believe why are so many so called experts disagreeing with each other?

My son has a 1st class honours Masters degree in engineering from UCL. He can't give me a definitive answer on why Pva normally works on Artex ceilings but sometimes fails. Nor can BG. In other words this guy is giving his opinion, which flies in the face of any hands on plasterer that understands different plasters and their reaction to water.

Rising damp exists in the minds of people who cannot find the cause of dampness in walls which sometimes involves a bit of lateral thinking

Like lateral damp?

What I can't get me head around is the fact that Victorian etc houses built in Dublin for example, using exactly the same construction methods and materialas british houses don't seem to catch rising damp anywhere near as often as in Britain .

it might have something to do with altitude, if you're nearer sea level the incidence of rising capilliary action may be higher, due to gravity.

I think it's to do with people having the heating on upstairs drawing the water up through the bricks or maybe too much loft insulation or maybe it's the washing up liquid in the mix pulling it up through the bubbles, the washing up liquid could also be giving false readings when a sample has been taken? Either way I'm sure it's got something to do with a fairy ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.